TESC Programs Events and Activities : see also: Art and Poster Inventory
Audio Archive 1969-
Guest Lecturers (cass. and r to r format) (Location : Audio cabinet
- 1972 - Barry Commoner - 1 audiocassette, VHS video, r-r video
- 1973 - Charlie Smith. John Birch Society: "More than a Riot". 04/27/1973 2 7" r-r audiotapes
- Frank Pestana - 04/02/1975 - 1 7" r-r audiotape
- Ruth Shearer, Dr. (PhD) Lecture and Skov, Neils, Dr. (PhD) Discussion - 04/17/1975 1 7" r-r audiotape
- Dr. Pat Cross and Ken Hansen
- Side A (Original label: "Dr. Pat Cross")
Description: Lecture by Dr K. Patricia Cross on institutions of higher learning needing to be concerned with cognitive and non-cognitive improvements in the college system.
Cross says college academic standards need to be changed for today's students, as more high school graduates are entering college today.
Says we will need to find better ways of developing the talents of the new diverse student body to meet their diverse needs.
Author of book "Beyond the Open Door: New Students to Higher Education" (published in 1971)
Proposes abolition of letter grades to avoid the stigma of failure.
Proposes a model on educational diversity, focusing on strengths, not weaknesses.
Proposes now is the time to find new models for education. Tape contains more information.
- Side B (Original label: "Ken Hansen")
Description: Lecture by Ken Hansen on "personal management in higher education". Tape contains more information.
- Keen & Ellison
Original label: "KEEN"
Description: Lecture, discussing education for "cosmonauts", or education for the "Fourth World".
Discusses two kinds of new therapies in the "therapeutic movement" - one for bodies, one for transpersonal therapies. Traditionally, psychotherapy dealt with mental therapy, and emotions second, sometimes involving the body - now it's become opposite. Tape contains more information.
Original label: "ELLISON"
Description: Sounds like a faculty from Seattle Central Community College, lecturing on the issues surrounding SCCC and other institutions as a multi-racial environment.
Discusses a new educational facility built in SCC
Financial aid needs to respond to the needs of minority students, he says, and that the financial aid director needs to not forward a minority's financial need to Minority Affairs or another resource.
Says minorities have self-worth and that it must be recognised in the psychological and organizational construct of higher learning institutions. Tape contains more information.
- TESC Tahola Class: Rudy Reser - Lecture on Democracy [after 1990 and before 1998]
- James Doliver (Assistant to Governor Evans): Discussing the Humanities. Washington Commission for the Humanities 04/14/1973
Academic Program Performances
- An Evening of Original Compositions by Evergreen Students, March 5, 1975 (2 5" r-r)
- Voices by Susan Griffin. Directed by Ruth Palmerlee.
College Sponsored Groups
- Chamber Orchestra Concerts
- Fall Qtr 1972 (12/07/1972) (1 5" r-r)
- Spr Qtr 1973 (05/30/1973)
- Fall Qtr 1973 (12/05/1973)
- Evergreen Chamber Singers
- [date unknown] (1 5" r-r)
- Evergreen Jazz Ensemble
- Wtr Quarter 1973 (03/20/1973) (1 5" r-r)
- Spr Qtr 1973 (05/1973) (2 5" r-r)
- Demo Reel 04/22/1974 Jay Stenz, Guest Sax soloist (1 3" r-r)
- Fall Qtr 1974 (12/1974) (2 5" r-r: reel 1 missing)
- Spr Qtr 1978 (05/24/1978) (1 5" r-r)
- Spr Qtr 1983 (05/23/1983) (2 5" r-r)
- Spr Qtr 1984 (04/24/1984) (1 5" r-r)
- Joint Concerts - Chamber Singers and Jazz Ensemble
- Spr Qtr 1973 (06/06/1973) (3 5" r-r)
- Spring 1974 (05/21/1974 ) (1 5" r-r)
- Wtr Qtr 1979 (02/25/1979) (2 5" r-r)
- Fall Qtr 1982 (12/01/1982) (2 5" r-r)
Audio/Visual Teaching Aids
SPLU Lab : Self-Paced Learning Units: Catalog & Instructional Materials
Program & Date
Matter and Motion 1973 Vectors & Polar Coordinates 1/2" R-R, VHS Demonstration and explanation of vectors and polar coordinates using computer graphics Matter and Motion 1973 Rates 1/2" R-R, VHS Demonstration and explanation of physics concept of rates using computer graphics Social Science Related Programs 1977
Woodbury, Ronald G.
[Stilson, Scott and Wright, Jeff - Programming Assistants]
Assumptions and the Social Sciences Manual Subtitle: A computer assisted Self Paced Unit on the use of assumptions in logical argument for the Social Sciences. Funded by a NSF grant.
Film Archive 1969-1975
(Films made in, by or about Academic Programs - Coordinated or Contract Studies other than Moving Image Programs (see 76-08))
Program & Date Title Length/Format Descriptioon
Video Archive 1969-
Subseries: Academic Program Productions 1970-
Subseries: Academic Program Seminars (Video Capture) 1971-
Subseries: Political Lecturers
- 04/23/1973 Futures Group Contract, Futures Conversations: Members of The Futures Group Contract Discuss Problems in American Transportation. Participants: Adrian Johnson, Jim Cameron, Larry Musick, Carol Bartell, and Marsali Hansen. Venue: KAOS Radio Studio A. 55 minutes.
- American West Student Slide show (Spring 1986) ¾ cassette tape
- Censorship & Cable TV. [n.d.]: R-R and 2 copies on VHS. Quality: Good
- Individual, Citizen, and State VHS, reel to reel
- Citizen Interview Project
- Faculty Meeting
- Knapp, Robert. Seminar. 197? : 7" Reel to Reel and VHS Cassette.
- Kutter, Elizabeth.
- Seminar, 197? : 1" Reel to Reel and VHS Cassette
- Seminar on Sex Roles : 7" Reel to Reel and VHS Cassette
- MFTUM Slide shows Winter (1986) ¾ cassette tape
- Native American Life Program
- Introductory Documentary and Student Discussion” VHS
- Program Seminar, 1971 pt. 1-2 : Parts 1 and 2 on separate 7" Reel to Reel and parts 1-2 on one VHS Cassette
- Space, Time, and Form 1971/72, VHS, reel to reel
- Faculty Meeting and Campout
- Mary Staton, Dancer VHS, reel to reel
- “Women in Communications” seminar, 1970, VHS, reel to reel
- Interview with Hilda Bryant (1975) (Women in Communications program?), VHS, reel to reel
- Dana D. Associate Producer of Seattle Today (1976) : (Women in Communications?) ¾, VHS, reel to reel
Subseries: Public Lectures (Academic Programs)
- Gravel, Michael, 1972 : Presidential Campaign of 1972, Senator Mike Gravel. 1 7" Reel to Reel.
- Don Bonker "Politics of Aging" 5-27-1975 LH1
- Bradley, Bill (U.S. Presidential Candidate) 02-24-2000 : VHS cassette
- Guest Lecturers 1971-
(1" R-R video, 3/4" Cassette & VHS Master copies) [see accession folder for inventory]
- Baba Ram Dass 1 VHS cassette, 1 7" Reel to Reel and 1 5" Reel to Reel. TESC: 1974 Quality: fair-good video, good audio. Summary: Speaker on "spirituality - Buddhist teachings and other eastern religioun and philosophy. Biographical facts on celebrities known to the lecturer including Timothy Leary.
- Commoner,Barry. University of Washington: 3 February 1977 : R-R: #1, 2 and 3 on 2 reels or 1 VHS cassette; Quality: video poor, audio excellent. Summary: Analysis of energy and free enterprise. Jointly sponsored lecture by TESC and University of Washington.
- Fuller, Buckminister - 1975 : 2 VHS cassettes, 1 DVD disk
- David Broder (1980) : ¾ cassette
- Dr. Giovani Costigan, Earth Fair : April 20, 1981 : ¾ cassette
- Hickman, Craig. (former TESC employee and Creator of Kid's Pix software) - on computer programming : 5/21/2002 : VHS cassette
- Urbanization and Mental Health, by Dr. William Osborne : reel to reel
- Hopi Speaker on Grand Canyon Incident : reel to reel
- Unidentified Guest Science Lecturer : reel to reel
- Unidentified Guest Physics Lecturer : reel to reel
- Evans Chair Speaker
- TVW : Sustainability: The Evergreen State College Lecture Series 2004 (Seminar II building, The Evergreen State College)
- Mohammed Abu-Nimar and Rabbi Seth Goldstein 01/08/2004 (2 VHS)
- The History of Conflict 01/22/2004 (1 VHS)
- Mark Ellis and Lance Laird 02/12/2004 (2 VHS)
- Haseer Aruri and Stephen Zune 02/19/2004 (1 VHS)
- The Israeli Right 02/26/2004 (1 VHS)
- Women's Movements in Israel/Palestine 03/04/2004 (1 VHS)
- Wheeler, Keith, Director, Center for Sustainable Future. Defining Sustainability (1:27:42 ). April 06,2004
- Dodge, John. Local/Media Sustainability (1:44:45) April 20, 2004
- Byrne, Jack. On Shaping Our Future (1:43:30) April 23, 2004
- Frank, Billy. 7 Generations (1:51:00) April 27, 2004
- [ ]. State & Government Sustainability (1:34:00) May 4, 2004
- Smith, Bradley. [ ]. (1:42:00) May 11, 2004
- Nuse, Tim. Corporate Sustainability. (1:58:00) May 18, 2004
- McKay, Nancy. NGO Financing. (1:25:45) May 25, 2004
- Steucke, Paul. Fort Lewis. (1:26:00) June 01, 2004
- Irons, Peter. God on Trial: Religion in the Public Sphere. (2:05) November 09, 2006
- Ayotzinapa Vive: A Panel Discussion. DVD video (1:58) April 15, 2015
- West, Cornel. Dr. Cornel West at The Evergreen State College. DVD video (1:45) May 4, 2015
Subseries: Memorial and Established Lecture Series
- Anthropocene Consortium Series
- 30 March: Sarah Williams and Alehandro de Acosta
- 13 April: Donna Haraway
- 27 April: John Graham
- 11 May: Week 7 Panel: Sustainable Practices: Regional Responses to Climate Change - Beth Doglio (Campaign manager for Climate Solutions), Tom Crawford (Educator and Co-founder of Thurston Climate Action Team), Peter Guttchen (City of Olympia staff responsible for curbside recycling program, etc.), Scott Morgan (Director of Sustainability at The Evergreen State College).
- 25 May Literary Arts Toolkit (Ruth Hayes and Eirik Steinhoff - facullty).
- Cal Anderson Lecture Series
- 1998/03/14 - David Mixner. "Finding Freedom in a Political World" : "Respectful Conversation about tough issues can make a difference". Former presidential campaign advisor and author of Stranger Among Friends.
- 2000/02/23 - Barney Frank - Current Political Issues. Congressman (Massachusettes). Introduced by Jane Jervis, President
- 2001 -
- 2002/04/22 - Ira Glass. "Lies, Sissies and Fiascoes: an evening with Ira Glass". Host and producer of This American Life (National Public Radio)
- 2003 - Kate Bornstein. "Gender Outlaw: On Men, Women , and the Rest of Us". Author, Performance Artist, Activist.
- 2004 -
- 2005 -
- 2006/11/10 - Martha Nussbaum
- 2007/05/22 - Martha Nussbaum. "Democracy, Masculinity, Religious Violence and India's Future. Ernst Freund Distinguished Service Professor of Law and Ethics, Department of Philosophy, Law School, and Divinity School, University of Chicago.
- 2008 -
- 2009 - Susan Stryker. Researcher, Writer, Queer Historian, Artist and Film maker. Executive Director of GLBT Historical Society in San Francisco 1999-2003
- Subseries: Lecture Series Notifications
- SubSeries: Postcard event notification (see above for presenter)
- Subseries: Lectures Announcements
- Subseries: Auction Donation Forms/Packet
- Plato Royalty Lecture Series
- 2000-04-07 Bishop, Ann. Librarians Crossing the Line : 2 VHS cassettes
- 2007 In conjunction with the Harvill Artists Lecture Series: Animated Forests Project Series
- 2007/04/23 Sisson, Dylan. (Pixar Animation Studios:1993 TESC graduate). [Animation Technology and Art]
- 2007/05/15 Orr, Genevieve. (Dept. of Computer Science, Willamette University). Music and Animation: Greater than the Sum of Its Parts: Callaboration Across Disciplines.
- 2007/05/21 Hanson, Erik. (Dept. of Animation and Visual Arts, University of Southern California). [Digital Backgrounds and Environments] (Giga Pixel Images)
- 2014/05/19 Weinman, Lynda
- Tom Rye Harvill Artists Lecture Series
- 1999 Lucia Harrison - Introduction by Susan Aurand. TESC. Quality: excellent. Talent/Participants: Camera: Alec Hamilton and Mary Bryant; Additional Camera: Eli Chessen and Shawn Samuel. Summary: Biographical information on Lucia Harrison, her parents and nuclear family. Exposition on her works of art, including influences and inspirations.
- 2007/08 - see Plato Lectures Series
- October 17 - McClure, Mikki
- October 31 - Nyland, Nicholas
- November 07 - Manchanda, Catharina
- November 28-31 Sea-Cat
- Bennett, Gretchen
- Greenwood, Wynne
- Offenbacher, Mathew
- January 13 - Graves, Jen
- January 23 - Rogeberg, Hanneline
- January 30 - Mellis, Miranda
- March 27 - Toland, Tip
- January 15 - Baxter, Debra
- February 26 - Berk, Leo
- April 09 - Smool, Carl
- May 28 - Conrad, CA
- September 05 - Womack, Autumn
- October 08 - von Schaewen, Diedi
- October 15 - Abendroth, Emily
- October 22 - Attoe, Dan
- November 05 -Bennett, Gretchen
- November 19 - Russell, Ben
- January 14, 2015 - McCarty, Alex
- October 07 - Thornton, Cassie
- October 15 - Tegeder, Danielle
- October 21 - Offenbacher, Matt
- November 04 - O'Daniel, Alison
- November 09 - de Duve, Thierry
- November 10 - Lisa Blas
- November 18 - Ingram, Davida
- December 09 - Contemporary Native American Art
- January 27 - Sherbo, Laura and Graney, Pat
- February 10 - Davis, Steve
- March 9 - Julia Heineccius
- April 20 - Jovencio de la Paz
- May 4 - Rob Halpern
- May 18 - Amanda K. Davidson
- Willi Unsoeld Seminar Series
- 1986 - Fisher, Roger. Negotiating with the Russians and Spouses - Is there a Difference?
- 1987 - Joanna Rogers Macy. "Rediscovering Our Authority and Power for a Threatened World"
- 1988 - Thomas Berry. "The American College in the Ecological Age". 05/04
- 1989 - Panel Members: John C. Mohawk, Martin Bernal, and Johnetta Cole. The Politics of Knowledge in the Year 2000
- Part I held on 4/30/1989 at Olympia's Washington Center for the Performing Arts. Introductions by Joseph Olander, President; Patrick Hill, Provost; Nancy Taylor - Moderator
- Part II held on 5/1/1989 at The Evergreen State College Library Lobby. Rudy Martin Moderator
- 1990 - Jim Hightower. "Sustainable Agriculture: The 1990's and Beyond".
- Texas Commissioner of Agriculture.
- 1991 - Galeano, Eduardo. History as a Mask 05/07
- Introduction by Russ Lidman, Interim Provost and Regon Unsoeld; Speaker introduction by Les Purce, Interim President.
- 1993 - David Brower. "It's Healing Time on Earth": an evening with David Brower.
- Founder of Friends of the Earth, Chairman of Earth Island Institute and a leading national and international envronmental conservationist.
- 1994 - "The Orion Society's Forgotten Language Tour: Six award-winning nature writers read from their published works". 02/15
- Alison Deming
- Christopher Merrill
- Gary Paul Nabhan
- Richard Nelson
- Robert Michael Pyle
- Pattiann Rogers
- 1995 - The Michell-Ruff Duo. 04/30
- 1996 - Phil Brown. "Popular Epidemiology: An Informed Citizenry and a Democratic Science. 04/28
- 1997 - Gary Snyder. "Poetry Reading" 11/13
- Pullitzer Prize winning poet, essayist, mountaineer, anthropologist, Zen Buddhist and environmentalist.
- 2001 - Williamson, Jed. President, Sterling College, Vermont. A Career in Experiential Education - The Expedition of a Lifetime. 04/16
- 2001 - Wade Davis. "Light at the Edge of the World: Vanishing Cultures, Enduring Lives". 10/24
- 2003 - Hornbein, Tom, Professor, Department of Anesthesiology and Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Washington School of Medicine. 40th Anniversary of the Everest West Ridge Climb
- Introduction by Les Purce, President. Speaker introduction by Jolene Unsoeld.
- 2004 - Franklin, Jerry. Professor, College of Forest Resources, University of Washington: Effects of Globalization of the Wood Products Industry on Forests and Forestry in North America...
- 2006 - Lifton, Robert Jay , M.D. Lecturer in Psychiatry, Harvard Mediacl School: Beyond Superpower Syndrome - Toward a Different America
- 2007 - Frances Moore Lappe. "Democracy's Edge: How to Take Back the America We Love".
- 2008 - Tyson, Neil DeGrasse, Astrophysicist and Director of the Hayden Planetarium, American Museum of Natural History.
- 2010 - Dan Mazur, a mountaineer and citizen activist for the people of Nepal.
- 2012 May 3 - A Sense of Wonder: A play based on the life and works of Rachel Carson Written and performed by Kaiulani Lee Thursday,7 p.m. The Longhouse Education and Cultural Center
- 2013 November 20 - film: “High & Hallowed: Everest 1963.” 50 Years celebration of Mt. Everest Ascent. Filmmakers David Morton, Jake Norton and Jim Aikman join Tom Hornbein for discussion.
- 2014 October 30 - Bittner, Mark. Author: The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill: A Love Story
- 2015 January 29 - Marrs, Audrey. Oscar winning documentary filmmaker ,
SubSeries: Announcement Postcards (see above for presenter)
Series: Workshop Presentations and Productions
- Hinkle, Allegra (Alley) - Teaching Workshop. TESC, 1998. Quality poor-good
- Summary: 1. Teacher workshop on using the camera and microphones; 2. Scene changes to misc recording, participants appear to be ignorant that recording is taking place. Contains footage of TESC faculty and staff. Majority of footage appears to be filmed without intent.
- Commercial News Items on Evergreen Academic Programs
- Brown, Marge - Experimental Animation  - KIRO TV News segment [n.d.]