The Evergreen State College Archives
Masters of Environmental Studies
Series: Masters Theses (PDF Format)
Procedure for Submitting MES Thesis to the Library and Archives
- MES Program office will submit a list of graduating students to the Library twice a year—At the end of Fall Quarter and at the end of Spring Quarter.
- Along with the list of graduates, twice a year the MES program office will box and deliver a bound thesis and an electronic copy of that thesis for every graduating student on the list.
- Each batch of theses will come to the library with a filled-out checklist that includes:
- Name of the student
- Title of the thesis
- Marked format boxes ___Bound Copy ___Electronic Copy (correctly formatted)
- Each batch of MES Theses will be checked in by Library Acquisitions, who will match the MES checklist to the contents of the box, noting any discrepancies and immediately contacting the MES program office if discrepancies are found.
- The Library will keep their copy of the checklist along with the list of graduating MES students, add the electronic copy to the library catalog, and place the bound copy in the campus archives.
Note: Theses from degree holders prior to 2007 are bound volumes in the Archives. Those shown below have been digitized by request.
Degrees Granted 1988
. National Parks in Brazil: A Study of Fifty Years of Environmental Policy (With Case Studies of the National Parks of the State of Rio de Janeiro.
Degrees Granted 1991
. Loss of Innocence: Environmental Liability for the Unsuspecting
Degrees Granted 1992
Degrees Granted 1994
- Branch, Harry W. The Caribbean spiny lobster, Panulirus argus, enhancement of the fishery with oceanographic tools and spatial division of fishing grounds between cooperatives and sanctuaries / QL444.M33B73 1994
Degrees Granted 1995
- Gradoville, Connie Mack. Developing a watershed theme based integrated science course for River Ridge High School
- Orelove, Jonathon. Adventure to Action: An Outdoor Environmental Education Program for Pre-Teens
- Peterson, Shane. Cellulose Degradation by Three Strains of Bacteria Found in the Gut of Zootermopsis angusticollis.
Degrees Granted 1999
Degrees Granted 2000
- McMillan, Andrew. The Science of Wetland Buffers and its Implication for the Management of Wetlands
Degrees Granted 2001
- Footen, Brian . Impacts of piscivorous predation on juvenile chinook (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) and other salmonids in Salmon and Shilshole Bays of Puget Sound, King Co. WA. SH222.W2 F66 2001
- Holmes, Debora R. The Green Crab Invasion: A Global Perspective With Lessons from Washington State. QL444.M33 H65 2001
Degrees Granted 2002
Degrees Granted 2003
- Bailey, Chrissy. Low Impact Development: Barriers Toward Sustainable Stormwater Management Practices in the Puget Sound Region. TD657.5 .B35 2003
- Bartosh, Oksana. Environmental Education: Improving Student Achievement
- Knudsen, Cynthia. The Thomomys Mazama Pocket Gopher in Washington Prairies : A Contemporary View for Management. QL737.R654 K68 2003
- Sharer, William R. A Study of the Suitability for the Continued Use of DDT for Malaria Control. RA644.M2 S43 2003
Degrees Granted 2004
- Johnson, Patricia A. Status of wetland mitigation in Washington State.
- Kraft, Karin Fernbach. An assessment of environmental learning center visitor attitudes towards environmental education
- Schmidt, Anna Noelle. Evaluation of collecting and identifying hair samples to determine presence of the Mazama Pocket Gopher, Thomomys mazama, and other fossorial mammals in the south Puget Sound, Washington
- Wahbeh, Hibba. Balancing the Impacts: Strengthening the Value and Rationale of Mitigation Measures Under the National Environmental Policy Act
Degrees Granted 2005
- Kitabayashi, Maki. Museum exhibits as informal venues for environmental learning
- Missildine, Brian. Polychlorinated Biphenyl Concentrations in Adult Chinook Salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) Returning to Coastal and Puget Sound Hatcheries.
Degrees Granted 2006
- Branton, Cynthia J. Religion and Ecology: Mississippi Southern Baptists and the Environment
- Josephy, Alvin. The Snake River Basin Adjudication
- Casey H. Ehorn. Invasive Species and Compensatory Wetland Mitigation.
- Parks, Jared. Shorebird Use of Smooth Cordgrass (Spartina alterniflora) Meadows in Willapa Bay, Washington.
Degrees Granted 2007
- Adair, Celinda. Regulation and Impervious Surfaces: A Case Study Looking at Changes in Total Impervious Area (TIA) and Impervious Surface Regulations for the Blake Lake Region.
- Abercrombie, Celina. Planning Implications of Cluster Housing for Wetlands and Their Buffers.
- Archbold, Brad. Using Algae to Capture CO2 and as a Feedstock for Biofuel.
- Buschmann, Whitney Katherine. If You Build It, Will They Come? The Future of Light-Rail in the Central Puget Sound Region.
- Cary, Brian Hypoxia in Hood Canal: Using Modern Science and Traditional Ecological Knowledge to Enhance Our Understanding of a Degraded Ecosystem.
- Chumbley, Kathryn. Prey Biomass Abundance, Distribution, and Availability to the Endangered Steller Sea Lion (Eumetopias Jubatus) Population at Ugamak Island, Alaska, 1995-99.
- Healy, Megan. Global Climate Change, Habitat Fragmentation and the Lesser Long-nosed Bat: What Next?
- Longley, Kirsi. The Feasibility of Poplars for Phytoremediation of TCE Contaminated Groundwater: A Cost-Effective And Natural Alternative Means Of Groundwater Treatment
- McGarry, Shawna. Local Ecological Knowledge of Flooding in the Madison Valley Neighborhood of Seattle, Washington
- Painter, Luke. Growth Rates and the Definition of Old-Growth in Forested Wetlands of the Puget Sound Region.
- Paulson, Melissa Newell. Collaborative Watershed Management: Stakeholder Participation and Watershed Partnership Success.
- Pumilio, John. Carbon Neutrality By 2020: The Evergreen State College's Comprehensive Greenhouse Gas Inventory.
- Reese, Angela Addressing Food Conditioning of Cascade Red Foxes in Mount Rainier National Park, Washington.
- Rock, Robert. An Evaluation of Mineral Carbonation as a Method for Sequestration of Carbon Dioxide.
- Schweizer, Vanessa Jine. Environmental Impacts of Development Practices of the World Bank
- Seymour, Karen. The Influence of Salmon Presence on Benthic Communities in Three Puyallup-White River Tributaries.
- Shoal, Robin. Predicting the Distribution of Whitebark Pine (Pinus Albicaulis) in Washington State.
- Smith, Alison. Raising Environmental Awareness Through Performance Art.
- Switz, Theodore. Sustainability of Applied Aquaculture in the US.
- Tilley, Aleceia. Comparison Study of Washington and Oregon's Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Processes.
- Ubilava, Miriam. Effect of Winter Storm on Water Quality and Fish Toxicity: The Duwamish and Nisqually Rivers.
Degrees Granted 2008
- Cunningham, Kelly J. Bristol Bay and the Pebble Project: Red or Gold
- Deffobis, Andrew. Local solutions to global problems: Tumwater, Washington and the development of a climate protection program.
- Epstein, Jeremy D. A Greenhouse Gas Inventory of the Washington State Attorney General's Office: An Inventory Case Study
- Haque, Sarah R. Movement Patterns of Coastal Cutthroat Trout (Oncorhynchus Clarki Clarki) in South Puget Sound, Washington 2006-2007.
- Harris, Susan L. Conservation Easements on Mexican Ejidos: An Alternative Model for Indigenous Peoples.
- Hollis, Steven Scott. Patterns of Mineral Element Retranslocation in Four Species of Trees in Monteverde, Costa Rica.
- Iverson, Christina A. Fishery Management Past and Present: Updating the Management of Impacts on ESA-listed Fish Species Using Genetic Stock Identification Tools In-Season to Validate Pre-Season Fishery Model Predictions
- Johnson, Regina M. Stream Baiting for Sudden Oak Death: Fluvial Transport and Ecohydrology of the Invasive Plant Pathogen Phytophthora Ramorum in Western Washington State.
- Kennedy, Kevin M. The Extent of Hatchery-Origin Fish Among Fall Chinook Salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) Observed in South Puget Sound Tributary Streams.
- Lumper, Randy. The Relationship between El Nino Southern Oscillation and Level of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning Present in Washington Marine Waters.
- Means, John. Brownfields' Re-development in Washington State: Evaluatiing Legal Mechanism Performance in the Brownfield Context.
- Rutherford, William Willis. Adapting to Climate Change : Bridging the Gap Betweem Global Projections and Local Planning in the Chehalis Basin.
- Sola, MiLagros. Early Detection of Insecticide Resistance in Mosquitos
- Tangen, Jan G. Homeowner's Handbook to Protecting Puget Sound Streams.
- Towanda, Trisha. Effects of CO2-Induced Acidification on the Anemone
- Waters, Charley G. Biological Responses of Juvenile Tridacna maxima (Mollusca:Bivalvia) to Increased pCO2 and Ocean Acidification
Degrees Granted 2009
- Boyle, Sarah E. Oil Spill Response Equipment Caching: A Washington State Case Study.
- Cantin, Jesse Joseph. A Comparative Policy Analysis on Washington and Oregon Management Policies for Zebra Mussel Infestations within the Columbia River Basin
- Del Moral, Sara M. Transit Oriented Development in Renton, Washington.
- Farahzad, Maryam T. Water Quality Standards in Oakland Bay Associated with Shelton Sewage Treatment Plant.
- Fisher, Jeff. Farmland Preservation in Thurston County.
- Guyot, Lucienne C. Combining Post Occupancy Evaluation with the United States Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Rating System.
- Jones, Gary K. Bioremediation of Contaminated Riparian Zones Using Mycorrhizal Fungi – An Exploration of the Feasibility of Restoration Through Mycoremediation.
- King, Kristina M. The Nature Exchange Program at the Woodland Park Zoo: Exploration, Evaluation. and Impact.
- Kopytko, Natalie. The Adaptation-Mitigation Dilemma: Is Nuclear Power a Practical Solution for Climate Change?
- Laggner, Daniel. Blue Whale (Baleanoptera musculus) Ship Strike Threat Assessment in the Santa Barbara Channel, California.
- Lai, Su-Miao. The Status of Air Pollutant PM10 from a Human Health Perspective in Taichung City, Taiwan.
- Langenfeld, Catherine. The Value of Ecological Restoration Volunteer Programs: A Case Study in Western Washington State.
- Lindberg, Anne E. Curricular Connections Between Outdoor Environmental Education and Classrooms: A Camp Colman Case Study.
- Lucas, Jeremy B. Feeding Ecology of “Southern Resident” Killer Whales (Orcinus orca): Benthic Habitat and Spatial Distribution
- Murphy, Kyle C. Evaluating the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment and Rating System (STARS) at The Evergreen State College.
- Papiez, Chelsea. Climate Change Implications for the Quileute and Hoh Tribes of Washington: A Multidisciplinary Approach to Assessing Climatic Disruptions to Coastal Indigenous Communities.
- Pyrooz, Natalie. Connecting Living and Learning about Sustainability: Installing an Edible Forest Garden in Campus Housing at The Evergreen State College.
- Rehm-Lorber, Jora. Community Composition and Influence of Forest Structure on Birds in The Evergreen State College Forest Reserve.
- Saul, Kathleen M. The Renewed Interest in New Nuclear Construction in the United States: Lessons from History, the Media, and Interviews.
- Schapaugh, Adam W. The Dynamics and Viability of the Endangered Streaked Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris strigata)
- Smith, Kathryn Ann. Water Reclamation in Thurston County: A Review of LOTT's Planned Class A Expansion
- Stewart, Jeremy. Tackling Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Large Entertainment Facilities A study of Qwest Field and Events Center
- Taylor-Eldred, Faith. Providing Environmental Health Services Following a Catastrophic Event: A Feasibility Study for Rural Health Jurisdictions
- Todis, Laura. Working Toward Effective Environmental Education for All: A Case Study of the Friends of Tryon Creek State Park
- Trokan, Matthew J. Ecological Restoration: Sustaining Diversity On the South Puget Sound Prairie Landscape
- Wolf, Adrian Lance. Bird Use of Epiphyte Resources in an Old-Growth Coniferous Forest of the Pacific Northwest.
Degrees Granted 2010
- Anderson, Jeffrey K. Comparing Endangered Streaked Horned Lark Fecundity to Other Grassland Birds.
- Brown, Rana Ann. Biodiversity of Benthic Mobile Fauna in Geoduc (Panopea generosa) Aquaculture Beds in Southern Puget Sound, Washington.
- Burlew, Dorothy A. The Effects of Pesticide-Contaminated Pollen on Larval Development of the Honey Bee, Apis mellifera.
- Cearns, Spencer Reed. Private Grazing on Public Lands: Uncovering the Struggle Between Dollars and Sense.
- Gowing, Stephanie D. Deconstruction in the City of Tacoma, WA: A Case Study
- Hoatson, Stephanie. The Effectiveness of Ecotourism as an Ecological Restoration Tool: Exploring Function, Proximity and Feasibility in The Chesapeake Bay Watershed.
- Holmes, Michelle Setsu. Potential Effects of Improved Cookstove Use and Barriers to Acceptance: A Case Study Measkron, Tanzania.
- Leahy, Corina L. Causes and Patterns of Harbor Seal (Phoca vitulina) Pup Mortality at Smith Island, Washington, 2004-2009.
- Marr, Andrew E. Snowmelt Hydrology of Mt. Rainier, Washington, Rivers: Implications for Future Water Resources Management.
- Moeller, Barbara J. Migratory and Non-Migratory Movements and Habitat Use by Female Elk on the Cascade Range of Washington.
- Otto, Eva. Finding the Balance for the Future of Globalization: An Historical Perspective on the Political Economy of Globalization and the Environment.
- Phillips, David R. Seeds from the Hands of Farmers Seed Conservation Projects of Brazil’s Peasant Farmers
- Politsch-Zarzeczny, Jill. Watershed - Scale Cooperative Weed Management: An Assessment of the King County Knotweed Control Project.
- Raab, Lindsay K. Evidence to Support a Boundary Expansion of the Nisqually Delta Important Bird Area To Include Shores and Bluffs of Anderson Island, Washington.
- Schroeder, Rebecca Rothwell. Lead Fishing Tackle: The Case for Regulation in Washington State.
- Sparks, Stephanie. Marine Protected Areas in the Puget Sound: Can a Network Design of MPA's Offer Greater Protection Than Isolated Reserves for Critical Rockfish Populations?
- Tschaekofske, Heather J. Prey Selection and Its Relationship to Habitat and Foraging Strategy of Molting White-winged (Melanitta fusca) and Surf Scoters (M. perspicillata) in Puget Sound, Wa., and the Strait of Georgia, B.C.
- Wright, Lindsy A. Winter Feeding Ecology of Coho Salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch), Steelhead (O. mykiss), and Cutthroat Trout (O. clarkii) in the Skokomish River, Washington.
Degrees Granted in 2011
- Baker, Loren R. Cascadia Earthquake and Tsunami Events as Reflected in Aboriginal Oral Tradition.
- Bateman, Patricia Hildebrandt. Marine Transportaton and Aquatic Invasive Species: Comparing Hawaii and Washington Policy.
- Bombara, Justin. A Case Study of Bicycle Facilities Network Implementation: The Seattle Bicycle Master Plan.
- Boyd, Lara. Controlling Combined Sewer Overflows with Rainwater Harvesting in Olympia, Washington.
- Clarke, Sara E. Assessing the Rehabilitative Potential of Science and Sustainability Education in Prisons: A Study of the Sustainable Prisons Project.
- Falzetti, David B. Rhinoceros auklets (Cerorhinca monocerata) and Columbia black-tailed deer (Odocoileus hemionus columbianus), Managing a Wildlife Dilemma on Protection Island.
- Fowler, Diane R. An Analysis and Comparison of Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether's (MTBE's) Use as a Fuel Oxygenate Against the Tenets of the Precautionary Principle.
- Garcia, Patricia Sun. Build it and they will come; a cost-effective analysis of salmon habitat restoration
techniques in the Pacific Northwest.
- Grosboll, Daniel N. Taylor's Checkerspot (EUPHYDRYAS EDITHA TAYLORI) Oviposition Habitat Selection and Larval Hostplant Use in Washington State
- Grytness, Terry L. Combined Heat and Power: An Assessment of Washington State Policy.
- Kariuki-McGee, Mercy. A Bottom Up Approach in Climate Change Response in Kenya: Assessing the Benefits of Community Based Projects in Kirikoini Village, Kandara Division.
- Kincaid, Melanie. A Q-methodology Study: Stakeholder perspectives on the future management of Capitol Lake, Olympia, Washington.
- Littauer, Doug. Rural Wetland Functions and Protection: A Case Study.
- Litwak, Aaron. Solar Photovoltaics Usage Among California Homeowners 2006-2011
- Lyon, Ashley Lynn. Determining Suitability of Habitat for Reintroduction of the Western Pond Turtle (Actinemys marmorata) at Fort Lewis, Washington
- Macki, Lisa. Roaming Cats: A Survey-Based Study Exploring Owners' Behavior.
- McGaughey, Jothan Kelvyn. Mechanisms of Policy Change: An Analysis of Salvage Logging on Federal Lands Including a Case Study of the Biscuit Fire Salvage Sales.
- Moore, Jessica A. Measure 37: Regulatory Takings Compensation Impact on Land Use Protections in Oregon.
- Nahal, Ghoghaie. Native/Non-Native Watershed Management in an Era of Climate Change: Freshwater Storage in the Snohomish Basin.
- Otto, J. Eva. Finding the Balance for the Future of Globilization: An Historical Perspective on the Political Economy of Globalization and the Environment.
- Pavy, Jonathan. Building Practices Reduces Infiltration Potential in Urban Environments and Subsequent Effects of Stormwater in Kitsap County.
- Plomski, Liesl M. Inter-Institutional Evaluation of Captive Rearing for the Oregon Spotted Frog (Rana pretiosa).
- Richardson, John F.
Movement, Habitat Use, and Dispersal of Juvenile Oregon Spotted Frogs (Rana pretiosa) on Joint Base Lewis McChord.
- Rodrigues, Laysa L. A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Managing Small Forestland for Carbon Credits and Timber.
- Rutherford, William Willis. Adapting to Climate Change: Bridging the Gap Between Global Projections and Local Planning in the Chehalis Basin.
- Schade, Tanja Lena. The Green Cemetery in America Plant a Tree on Me.
- Skinner, Travis. Accesory Dwelling Units and Accessory Structures in Olympia, Wa.
- Wirtz, Emily C. Roosevelt Elk Habitat Assessment in the Skokomish Game Management Unit.
- Wolff, Daniel. Site Selection for Eel Grass: A Model for Puget Sound Replanting Projects.
Degrees Granted in 2012
- Belleavue, Lisa. Determining the influence of soil salinity and tidal inundation on the growth, distribution, and diversity of salt marsh vegetation: implications for the restoration of the Nisqually Delta, Washington.
- Brown, Clare E. Exploring Migratory Connectivity in the Calliope Hummingbird Through Stable Isotope Analysis of Tail Feathers.
- Clay, Shannon E. Removing Arsenic and Lead from Soils Using a Bioremediation Approach: Design, Implementation and Analysis of a Feasibility Study on Vashon Island, Washington.
- Ferguson, Noel P. Challenging Times for North American Bats: Planning for the Future of a Myotis yumanensis and M. lucifugus Maternity Colony at The Evergreen State College Organic Farmhouse, The Evergreen State College, Olympia, Washington.
- Flores, Lola P. Ecosystem Service Valuation: Opportunities for Increased Protection and Conservation in Clallam County, WA.
- Hayduk, Evan Anthony. Using LiDAR Data to Estimate Effective Leaf Area Index,
Determine Biometrics and Visualize Canopy Structure in a Central Oregon Forest with Complex Terrain.
- Holcomb, Chris. Examining the Relationship Between Landscape Connectivity and the Breeding Effort of the Red-Legged Frog (Rana Aurora) in Western Washington Wetlands.
- Husby, Jennie F. Pollinators May Not Limit Native Seed Viability for Puget Sound Lowland Prairie Restoration.
- Kangiser, David. Analysis of Megafauna Detections.
- Keodara, Andreas. Understanding the Phenomena of Institutionalized Recycling and Composting Programs.
- Kreamer, Kirsten A. Factors Affecting the Success of Pigeon Guillemots on Whidbey Island, Puget Sound, Washington, During the 2009 Breeding Season.
- Kruse, Ryan. The Impact of Nutria (Myocastor coypu) as an Invasive Species and its Possible Distribution in the Pacific Norhtwest.
- Lim, Jason R. Occurance and Distribution of Toxic Pseudo-nitzschia Events in Washington State: Analysis of Scientific Findings and Policy Responses.
- Loft, Don S. Identification of Degraded Lotic Freshwater that Affects Salmon Habitat, Shellfish Beds and Recreation in South Puget Sound Using Water Quality Data and Land Use Aanalysis.
- Maskin, Zachary A. An Assessment of the Capacity and Costs of Electrolytic Hydrogen Production from Surplus Hydroelectricity in the Pacific Northwest.
- Mattheis, Luke. Assessing Cost-Effective Energy Savings on Joint Base Lewis-McChord Housing.
- O'Neill, Daniel. The Economic Benefits of Organic Farming on a Dairy Farm in Thurston County, Washington.
- Pico, Melissa Ka'iulani. Ua ku i kahi haiki: Voices of Konohiki and Educators on Obstacles & Successes in Cultivating Traditional Hawaiian Resource Management on Moloka'I & Oah'u.
- Rogers, Justin. Youth Education Programs at College and University Student Farms in the United States: An Investigation of Initial Program Implementation
and Long-Term Organizational and Financial Sustainability.
- Sanford, Emily. An Analysis of the Comercial Pacific Oyster (Crassostrea gigas) Industry in Willapa Bay, Wa.: Environmental History, Threatened Species, Pesticide Use, and Economics.
- Schoenberg, Kari M. Improving the Mexican Wolf Recovery Plan through Successful Reintroduction of Gray Wolves in the Northern United States.
- Snyder, Jennifer E. Consumer Choice and Green Power in Washington State.
- Sommers, Frank C. Behavioral Response of Juvenile Chinook Salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) to Combinations of Dissolved Copper and Submerged Structure in Freshwater and Seawater.
- Vandever, Jennifer Ann. Should Sculpin from the Bering Sea and Gulf of Alaska Be Added to the North Pacific Food System.
- Weber, Sarah R. Environmental Education in Prison: A Comparison of Teaching Methods and Their Influence on Inmate Attitudes and Knowledge of Environmental Topics
- Wederspahn, Anna M. Managing YOung Stands in Western Washington to Expedite Complex Forest Structure and Biotic Diversity: Review, Rationale, and Recommendations.
Degrees Granted 2013
- Addae, Kwasi. The Effects of Marine Reserves on Regional Groundfish Diversity within the San Juan Archipelago, Washington, State.
- Andrusyszyn, Robyn. Using Fire for Butterflies: Soil Characteristics Across a Burn Gradient in Western Washington Prairies.
- Aubrey, Dennis. Oviposition Preference in Taylor's Checkerspot Butterflies (EUPHYDRYAS EDITHA TAYLORI): Collaberative Research and Conservation With Incarcerated Women.
- Baur, Alison. Policy Alternatives for English Ivy Management in Washington State.
- Beaman, Floyd. The Cost-Effectiveness of Zero-energy and Near Zero-energy Homes in Washington State.
- Benedict, Timothy. Pathways for Promoting Anaerobic Digestion in Washington State.
- Blumhagen, Stephanie A. Collaboration for Protection of a Sacred Site: A Case Study on Tamanowas Rock
- Bucci, Gianluca. A Reading of Heidegger's Phenomenological Hermeneutic of the History of Being in Support of the Didactic Relevance of Philosophy to Science Education.
- Coleman, Robert E. Establishing a Baseline: A Community Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory for Thurston County, Wa.
- Cornell, Jason R. Payment for Ecosystem Services: Structural and Practical Barriers to Success.
- Dochow, Dianne. Transforming Tradition: A Case Study of Stormwater
Management in Clark County, Washington to Assess Barriers to Low Impact Development Strategies.
- Dozier, Debra. Claiming Glacier Bay.
- DuBois, Jodie M. Assessment of Farm Owners' Perspectives and Preferred Methods to Farmland Preservation in Urbanizing Thurston County.
- Faulkner, Hanna. Influence of Aquaculture on Winter Sea Duck Distribution and Abundance in South Puget Sound.
- Gallagher, Brittany E. Science and Sustainability Programs in Prisons: Assessing the Effects of Participation on Inmates.
- Gelderloos, Lucy A. Can Cities Achieve What Kyoto Failed to Do? A Case Study of Seattle's Climate Policy.
- Gilman, Nathaniel Ebi. Examining Spatial Concentrations of Marine Micro-Plastics on Shorelines in South Puget Sound, Washington.
- Hanlon, Erin M. Perceptions of Marine Protected Areas in Puget Sound.
- Holly, Carole Anne. "Environmental Justice" for Indigenous Peoples: A Case Study of the Louden Tribal Council.
- Johnson, TJ. Sustainability Planning in Thurston County, Washington: Opportunities and Challenges for Eco-Civic Agriculture.
- Karboski, Kara. Distribution of Urban Household Carbon Dioxide Emissions Along a Socioeconomic Gradient of Indianapolis, In.
- Kowalewski, Heather. An Inquiry into Democratizing Alternative AgroFood Movements: Participation of Social Justice Organizations and Underserved Populations in the Thurston County Food Systems Council
- Krebs, Nathan. Comparison of Urine Diverting Toilet Systems to Conventional Wastewater Treatment and Assessment of the Feasibility of Replacing the Latter with the Former.
- Mangold, Evan. Hydrokinetic Power: An Analysis of its Performance and Potential in the Roza and Kittias Canals.
- Marnia, Marxa. Growth Medicine and the Sachs-Warnerian Narrative: The Development of the 'Resource Curse' in Economic Thought.
- Martin, Andrea S. How Significant and for Whom? Investigationg the Influence of Conservation Corps on Environmental Attitudes.
- Masello, Daniel M. Variations in Surface Soil Organic Carbon at the Duckabush River Delta, Washington.
- Mazzone, Scott. Identifying Effective Sperm Whale (Physeter macrocephalus) Depridation deterrent strategies for Washington Coast Commercial Longline Fishermen.
- McBee, Ashley Rose Building the Platform for Collaborative Natural Resource Management: A Case Study of Human Dimensions in Puget Sound Salmon Recovery.
- Pinjuv, Kyle. Estimating Black Bear Population Size in Gustavus, Alaska: Implications for Determining the Effect of Human Caused Mortality on Population Size.
- Potter, Sara Louise. Antimicrobial Resistance in Orcinus Orca Scat: Using Marine Sentinels as Indicators of Pharmaceutical Pollution in the Salish Sea.
- Price, Jesse D. Defining Coastal Boundaries: A Comparison Study of the Influences to Shoreline Policy around Puget Sound of Washington State and the Great Lakes of Michigan
- Proie, Shelby. A Systematic Review of Cortisol Levels in Wild and Captive Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphin (Tursiops truncatus), Killer Whale, (Orcinus orca), and Beluga Whale (Delphinapterus leucas).
- Rambo, Charles Alonzo.Urban Orchard Stewardship: Volunteer Motivations and Manager Perspectives
- Ramsdell, Kristen D. Diel Breeding Patterns of the Oregon Spotted Frog (Rana pretiosa) Observed by Camera Traps
- Redfern, Mitchell. An Assessment of Initial Experiences with Anaerobic Digesters Among Washington State Dairy Farmers and Developers.
- Ritter, Matthew G. Evaluation of Priorities and Costs in Species Recovery Plans: Sonoran Pronghorn (Antilocarpa americana sonorensis), Louisiana Black Bear (Ursus americanus luteolus) and Sierra Nevada Bighorn Sheep (Ovis canadensis sierra).
- Roberts, Caitlin Payne. Phototaxis of Dungeness Crab Zoeae in High-CO2 Seawater: Implications for Coastal Ecosystems in an Acidfied Ocean.
- Spang, Brian. Insects as Food: Assessing the Food Conversion Efficiency of the Mealworm (Tenebrio molitor).
- Stamets, LaDena Che'. Best Mycorestoration Practices for Habitat Restoration of Small Land Parcels.
- Starr, Hailey. Analyzing the Influence of Interstate 90 on Elk Home Range Establishment and Resource Selection.
- Tucker, Heather Nicole. Birds Across Time: An Assessment of Historic and Current Water Fowl Surveys within the Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge.
- Walley, Jerilyn R. Valley Circulation Experiment: A Classification of Wind Flow in the H.J. Andrews Experimental Forest
- Waterstrat, Frithiof Teal. Characteristics of Three Western Pearlshell (Margaritifera Falcata) Populations in the Chehalis River Basin, Washington State.
- Whisman, Marisa K. Revegetation of Post-Dam-Removal Riparian Sediments in the Lower Elwha River, Wa.
- Wolt, Kathryn Elvira. The Place of Alternative Agro-Food Systems: Examining Food Access and Emergency Food Systems in Mason County, Washington.
- Zimmer, Aaron. Exploring Experiences of Meaningful Engagement in Preparation for a Community of Practice.
Degrees Granted 2014
- Abdulghani, Lisa. Examination of Bivalve Shell Degradation for Alkalinity Regeneration Purposes in Hood Canal, Washington.
- Allen, Abbey L. A Comparative Analysis on Environmental Education in North Carolina, California, and Hawaii.
- Anderson, David. Harbor Porpoise Return to the South Puget Sound: Using Bioacoustic Mehtods to Monitor this Recovering Population.
- Anderson, Matthew. Residential Irrigation in Olympia, Washington: An Evaluation of Local Water Conservation Policy and User Behavior.
- Benedict, Kimberly Jones. Motivations of Community Gardeners in Thurston and Pierce Counties, Washington State.
- Blessing, Bonnie J. Wetland Ratios, Soil Types and Geologic History at Oregon Spotted Frog Wetlands in Thurston County [Wa.]
- Bush, Otis M. Incorporating Tribal Interests in Marine Protected Areas: Case Studies of Treaty Tribes on the Washington Coast.
- Dunn, Jennifer L. A Formative Evaluation of Washington State's Biodiesel Renewable Fuel Standard.
- Edwards, Fiona J. Investigating Disaster Preparedness within a Transitory Community: A Case Study of Student Attitudes at The Evergreen State College.
- Fischback, Jana. Social Marketing for Residential Energy Efficiency: Motivations and Barriers Relating to Home Improvements in the Puget Sound Region.
- Harrington, James W. Quantifying Land Use Disturbance Intensity (LDI) in the Skokomish River Watershed.
- Keese, Krystal. A Multifunctional Landscape Approach to Reconciling Renewable Energy and Crucial Habitat Needs in Washington State.
- Mann, Jaal G. Prairie Fire as a Selective Agent: Second-generation Responses and Plant Community Shifts.
- Marino, Matthew. The Ability of Minority Stakeholder Groups to Engage in Coastal Zone Management Decisions in Santa Cruz, California: Case Study of the Pleasure Point Seawall Project.
- Mounts, Cory E. The Value of Direct-Sales Farms to Conservation in Thurston County, Washington.
- Narog, Josiah. The Fox Island Energy Crisis: A Natural Experiment in Voluntary Energy Conservation.
- O'Leary, Britt. The Response of Birds to Drought: Examining Species Abundance and Reichness with the Christmas Bird Count.
- Osterberg, Allison E, Whose Shore? Assissing the Effects of Public Participation on Shorline Master Program Updates in Puget Sound.
- Plumley, Stacey A. Modeling Columbian Sharptailed Grouse LEK Occupancy to Guide Site Selection for Translocations and Species Population Recovery.
- Porter, Sasha R.. Mycorrhizal and Microbial Inoculation Affect the Growth and Survival of Native Plants Raised for Restoration.
- Pucci, Danielle. Exploring the Interwoven Relationship of Eco-fashion: A Production and Consumption Assessment of the Organic Cotton Garment.
- Ras, Drissia. A Laboratory Assessment of Biosand/Kanhan Arsenic Water Filters.
- Rhoads, Kyli Anne. Measuring Community Resiliance to Natural Disasters: A Case Study of Thurston [County], Washington.
- Runyan, Jennifer Sun. Seasonal Variation of the Genus Dinophysis within Puget Sound, Washington: Understanding Harmful Algai Blooms through Species Identification.
- Sanderson, Traci L. The Use of Stable Nitorgen Isotopes in Evaluating Landscape-Level: Nitrogen Inputs to Hood Canal, Washington, USA.
- Sullivan, Molly Tyler. A Temporal Analysis of Elk Movement in Relation to Washington's Transportation Infrastructure.
- Tejeda, Carola. An Analysis of the Effects of Eelgrass Beds on the Water Chemistry of Port Gamble, Puget Sound.
- Thelen, Laura A. Brownfield Impacts on Residential Property Values: A Case Study of the Ranier Court Brownfield Redevelopment Project, Seattle, Washington.
- Waters, Charissa M. Payments for Ecosystem Services in Washington State: Understanding Stakeholder Values and Potential Coalitions in the Nisqually Watershed Services Transaction Piolt Project.
- Wefferling, Leif T. Forage Fish Spawning in the Elwha Nearshore: Ecological Form and Function in a Changing Environment.
- Wilson, Samuel.J. Employing Life-cycle Assessment and Comparative Analysis to Reveal Holistic Perspectives in Regional Sustainable Development.
Degrees Granted 2015