The Recognition: The Politics of Human Exchange program exemplifies the award-winning educational opportunities available at Evergreen. The overall structure and function of this program is exceptional. The availability of individualized self-directed learning experiences, terrific support facilities, and outstanding faculty involvement, are why I chose Evergreen, rather than the many Colleges and Universities closer to my home in Marysville. I gladly drive for 2 hours each way, to receive this quality of education!
I cannot thank Gary Peterson, Raul Nakasone, and David Rutledge enough for their outstanding work this year! It is their commitment to the goals of this program, and to the education of their students that maintains the exceptional quality of this program.
Many of the students in the program this year are graduating and going on to graduate school. Many of us (myself for sure) would never have chosen to go on if it were not for the advise, encouragement and direct involvement of our instructors!
This program is part of an ongoing 20-year plan. It is extremely well thought out and I feel it is well structured to bring out the very best in each student.
        Their ability to organize such a wide variety of students, each with their own educational goals into a functioning community of learners is simply amazing. They utilize a list server on campus, a website, a suggested reading list, group discussions (primarily student led), instructor led lectures, guest speakers and constant personal contact via email and in person to weave this magic.
    They lead us gently but effectively to find, recognize and assimilate the important concepts of what we had chosen to study.
    Our learning community, this year, was composed of a very wide range of students. Some just out of high school, some in the middle of their lives, and others, such as myself, who have been around a lot longer. We had a very wide range of educational goals for our experiences in this program. We had students who were studying teaching, physics, Native American studies, microbiology, Spanish, psychology, and many many more. Our needs were addressed, with encouragement, enthusiasm, guidance, fairness and at a level that would most benefit us, in our individual journeys. They challenged us again and again to widen our experiences, refine our goals, and increase our efforts and to form community. They guided our discussions with extreme tact and subtlety. They entered into our discussions in the stance of  “co-learners” but their effect was to guide our discussions with provocative questions and ideas. They were always guiding us but with a gentle enticement rather than a heavy hand.
    This is quite a team of instructors! Evergreen and its students are fortunate to have them. They work together like a well-oiled machine. They consistently gave authority to the students to direct their own learning, while acting as the facilitators of that learning. They expressed their viewpoints in our discussions as simply their viewpoints and encouraged us to express ours. This created an atmosphere of tolerance and exploration that added greatly to our experience.
    They are all extremely well educated and highly polished in the craft of teaching. Their skill, as instructors, is to be commended. I wish more of the instructors at Evergreen had their level of commitment, expertise, involvement and attitude.

Patricia Parsons

EVALUATION OF TEACHERS -

In one of many e-mail correspondences with Raul, he once wrote:  "I am glad you are witnessing an important change at schooling, what we used to think was play at childrens' age, is really active learning. At that age and, really at any other age, we humans learn more by doing activities than by being taught. Our brain is an organ for learning not so much a storage for information. That is the main reason David, Gary, Yvonne and I have these kind of programs like Recognition."   This statement made me feel happy knowing that I was successfully accomplishing the goal that this class was designed for.  Having these three teachers and participating in the Recognition program for the past three quarters has been a great experience for me.  I hope that in the future this program is offered and that other students get the chance to explore the many different opportunities of learning as I did with these teachers.  It has truly been a great experience.

Stephanie Howard

Program/Faculty Evaluation

Recognition: The Politics of Human Exchange is an excellent class to take.  This course promotes student learning through interaction with one another.  Some students thrive on group interaction and others prefer to work more independently.  One thing that I really liked about this class was the expectation that each student would present their project in front of the class.  I enjoy hearing from everyone and students have control over their own presentation style, length, and format.

Even though students chose diverse project topics, we were able to collaborate with one another during class time and through Web Crossing.  Web Crossing is an internet site which is an integral part of the class.  This site enables classmates to interact with one another while away from class.  This site helps students who missed class catch-up and also lets student’s carry-on their conversation out of class.  Some students who are quiet are able to voice their opinion on Web Crossing.  It is nice to have a variety of media to appeal to everyone’s unique style.

This class is flexible enough for each student to learn what ever they want.  This course really allows each one of us to have a hands-on learning experience of our own choosing.  The Recognition class time, gives us the opportunity to network with other classmates. Our peers are our community and we all give each other respect.  It is exciting to hear about others’ topics and learn from their research.

Recognition is different from other courses here at Evergreen.  This class is shared by three facilitators: Raul Nakasone, David Rutledge, and Gary Peterson.  All three take the time to get to know their students.  The facilitators are flexible and willing to work around individual schedules to fit individual student needs.  If students aren’t able to attend class during the week, they may attend a Saturday class.  The facilitators also keep in touch with students through Web Crossing.  These three facilitators are dedicated to their job of teaching and helping their students learn.  They have helped open the eyes of the students to realize that learning can be fun and to go seek your passion.  The facilitators also push for all students to interact and get to know the community.

These three aren’t your normal everyday teachers.  They don’t take out a red pen and mark all over your papers.  They use a different method of teaching.  Students are able to direct the discussion and learn from each other.  The free-form of this course really causes one to decide how they wish to spend their time.  Life is all about choices and we have to live with the choices we make.  Some students really apply themselves and walk away with a wonderful learning experience.  Others choose a more laid back approach and some will probably regret that decision later in life.

Merrill
May 24, 2004

       "Every lesson is the first lesson.  Every time we dance, we do
it for the first time.  It does not mean we forget what we already know.  It means that what we are doing is always new, because we are always doing it for the first time." - Al Chung Liang Huang The Dancing Wu Li Masters By Gary Zukav
        "Whatever he does, he does with the enthusiasm of doing it for the first time.  This is the source of his unlimited energy.  Every lesson that he teaches (or learns) is a first lesson. Every dance he dances, he dances for the first time.  It is always new, personal, and alive." - Gary Zukav The Dancing Wu Li Masters

To learn about liberation, and libratory education a student must learn
about oppression.  To challenge what is socially expectable education at the same time providing a learning environment saturated with substance and opportunity, to trust and support students, and to believe one hundred percent in what students are doing is what it means to be a
faculty member in a student centered program.   The flexibility to swiftly coordinate subject-to-subject, theory to praxis and practice is what it means to be a faculty member in a student centered program.  The genuineness to always start with the first lesson, to courageously identify with students as equals and to allow the dialogical curriculum of the students to emerge naturally without force, is what it means to be a faculty member in a student centered program.

Our faculty team Yvonne, Gary, David and Raul quickly deconstructed the student teacher dichotomy from the first day of class with an authenticity that maintained consistent throughout the entire year. They boldly commit themselves to student centered learning with truly liberating pedagogy.  They make intellectual invitations to their students to exercise their higher level
thinking skills.  They have made a point of not getting in the way of students learning but finding a way to coordinate their knowledge and wisdom in a compassionate way withthe emerging curriculum of the students.  They regularly stay after class to speak with students, and always listen attentively to students so that they can support them with whatever they are doing.  They are very active in creating a learning community that is rich in knowledge and is based upon freedom, the process of liberation, history, cultural pedagogy, and praxis; the action of reflection.
By creating the bridge program our faculty team created the  most successful Native American studies program.  The bridge program connected History: A Celebration of Place with the Reservation Based Community Determined program creating cultural and educational opportunities unique only to Evergreen.  Students were given to opportunity to critically think about previous educational agendas, and to go beyond learning about cultures, to learn from and with cultures other then their own.
Students of Recognition become masters of their own thinking.  They learn the value of curriculum development, and instruction.  Students become administrators of their own education while being immersed in an environment rich in culture, direction, and opportunities.
Our faculty team is commited to student centered learning.  Their abundance of knowledge greatly enriches the learning enviroment.  They empower students and give them the opportunity to take their education beyond modern conventions.  They are truly a great asset to The Evergreen  State College.
Isaac