<>Patience: A Survival process for an Unknown FutureWinter Announcements

Greetings;

The "Generations Rising" Native youth art exhibition will be on display in the Longhouse until April 1.  The exhibition includes work by artists (5 to 19 years old) from a wide variety of tribal backgrounds.

 The show  includes traditional regalia and weavings from the NW region, as well as contemporary pieces, such as fully-beaded Converse tennis shoes.

"Generations Rising" is an annual, intergenerational event that supports native youth in their artistry, their cultural identity and in their continuing education as life-long learners.  This year's event was sponsored by the "Patience" program, the Hazel Pete Institute of Chehalis Basketry and the Longhouse.

 Tina Kuckkahn, director
Longhouse Education and Cultural Center
(360) 867-5344

seminario en la playa en Peru Seminar at the La Barranca beach in Guadalupe, Peru

The Patience program will schedule special topics in room 1040 of lab I on on the following Saturdays from 9am to 4pm winter quarter:

January     8
January   22
February   5
February 19
March       5
March     19

Thanks
Gary

Patience: A Survival process for an Unknown Future - Fall Announcements

INDIAN WEAVERS COOPERATIVE FROM CHIAPAS, MEXICO
HOLIDAY NATIVE ARTS FAIR!

Friday, Dec. 10
Native American Arts Fair
The Evergreen State College LONGHOUSE, 11 AM-3 PM

Monday, Dec. 13
Traditions Fair Trade Café
 300 5th Ave. w/ Water St.
Olympia, 7 PM
Presentations are FREE and OPEN to the Public and will include a slideshow, Q&A, and many exquisite and very beautifully cooperative made weavings for SALE!

Join in as Olympia welcomes for the second time this year the Jolom Mayaetik Women's Weavers Cooperative from Chiapas, Mexico.  Started in 1996, the Co-op has 250 women and has become a critical point of resistance for indigenous women.

Co-op co-founder Celia Santiz Ruiz will speak how indigenous women have responded to economic impacts, militarization and crushing poverty that has affect the Mexican countryside followed by the implementation of the 1994 North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).

Indigenous women in Chiapas suffer from a severe lack of access to primary education and job training. Chiapas rates dead last among the Mexican states in women's illiteracy, more than doubling the national average (28.9% Chiapas, 11.3% nationally). Traditional back-strap loom weaving is often the only profitable skill that Chiapaneca women learn. Weaving cooperatives give women the chance to market their work at fairer prices than they would receive if selling individually.

Presentation and Coop's woven goods for Sale!

Info : 360. 259-1879

WANTED:

Sports fans willing and able to take their eyes off Snoop and the Blazers and the Sonics and the Blazers long enough to support the Geoducks as they open the season with Southwest Washington's most exciting basketball rivalry.....
Friday, November 5
5:30 and 7:30 at the CRC Gym
Women's & Men's Basketball
Evergreen vs. Saint Martin's
Admission:  $6 for Adults.  $3 for teens 13-17, SMC students, senior citizens and military personnel.  $1 for kids 12 & under.  As always, Evergreen students are admitted FREE!!!!

Hi Greeners, it's Eric from the Environmental Resource Center. How's week 4 going? Anyone losing credit yet?

So this week there's a few things going on this week, and a bunch of things to plan for.
Contents of this message follow:

-Orionids meteor shower - possible trip to Rainier with EPIC
-Ancient Forest Roadshow to Evergreen next Monday!
-Campus sustainability figure Tony Cortese speaks on Wednesday
-Forest Plan revision for the Blue Mountains - possible Portland trip
-Synergy sustainable living conference - time to start planning

000000000000000000000000000

This Thursday the fabulous Orionids will be making a special appearence from space! EPIC and ERC have thought of some ideas for an outdoor event on Thursday around midnight to view these beauties. One included renting a big cabin near Mt. Rainier and making a whole night of it!

*If you're interested in driving or going, email me (wozeri09@evergreen.edu), as we need to know asap if we're going to book the cabin*

Another idea included a drum circle and viewing party on the Evergreen field and hoping it won't be cloudy. Either way it'll be really cool, we'll discuss plans further on the Wednesday meeting.

00000000000000000000000000

So I just got an email from  the Ancient Forest Roadshow (http://www.forestroadshow.org/). This group travels around the states with a slice of a huge 420 year old Douglas fir stump, spreading awareness of the repercussions of Bush's timber polices and environmental rollbacks, and is currently collecting comments on the repeal of the Roadless Rule.

Next Monday (25th) they'll be in town and said they'd like to bring their show to Red Square! This is the perfect addition to our Roadless Rule campaign. The only thing is that we need to jump through the administrative hoops for the school to allow an event on campus, and I need help with this! If someone would like to lend a hand running around campus getting papers signed, email me back.

000000000000000000000000000

This Wednesday Anthony Cortese will be coming to Evergreen to speak. Here's a quick blurb on Anthony's work:

Anthony (Tony) Cortese is one of a small handful of major figures in the nation leading the campus sustainability movement.  For several decades, Tony has been tirelessly advocating for higher education to become a leader in environmental stewardship.  After serving as Commissioner of the Dept of Environmental Protection for the state of Mass, he became the "environmental sustainability czar" at Tufts University, and led the creation of University Leaders for a Sustainable Future and "Natural Step."  For the past 12+ years, he has directed "Second Nature," a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting campuses as they move toward sustainable curriculum and practices. Tony has also walked the talk of diversity throughout his professional life and is a powerful advocate for the social justice and health dimensions of sustainability.

And here's his speaking schedule:

Noon to 1 p.m., Wednesday, October 20:  “Walking Our Talk: Sustainability on Campus,” Lecture Hall I

6 to 8:30 p.m.: “Getting to YES With Sustainability,” Lecture Hall II

Among other things, Dr. Cortese is President of Second Nature, chairs the Natural Step U.S., and is an adviser to Presidential Candidate John Kerry.

This'll be a great opportunity to see how Evergreen can continue and better its "super-green" image; check it out!

00000000000000000000000000

The Blue Mountains, which contain the Malheur, Umatilla, and Wallowa-Whitman National Forests in
Southeast Washington and Northeast Oregon are about to have their rights altered. The "Forest Plan" which regulates all logging and mining activity is about to be completely revised.

Now is the "public participation" period, in which the forest service is holding public meetings - which they call "community collaborative workshops." This will be a rare and interesting opportunity to see how the forest service really does it, as well as have our voices heard. The closest meeting is in Portland on November 4th -- a Thursday - from 6-9pm. If anyone is interested in helping put together a trip down there do let me know, or come to our meeting this Wednesday. For more info check out: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/uma/blue_mtn_planrevision/

0000000000000000000000000

Remember the 3-day long Synergy conference last year? Well it's happening again this year from February 9th-11th and planning in beginning now. We've had a few ideas of speakers and workshops, but we'd love to hear your ideas.

0000000000000000000000000

To become a part of any of these projects come to the ERC meeting at Wednesday 1:45; 3rd floor CAB in the Pit.

-Eric Wozniak
ERC Coordinator
(360) 867-6784

                                                                                                     Return

Soup House, Olympia's own organic soup company, is open for business! Their new downtown location offers organic soup, bread, sandwiches and beverages. It's the perfect downtown lunch spot. Soup House is also committed to using locally grown food from farms like Kirsop , Pigmans and Rising River. Eating at Soup House supports local food security in Thurston County. The new store is located at 406 Washington between 4th and 5th Ave next to the Painted Plate.

In addition to their new restaurant Soup House provides wholesale organic soup to many outlets including the Olympia school system. That's right, kids in Olympia public schools are eating locally grown food!

Please show your support for Soup House and help expand the local organic movement! Feel free to pass this message on.

Grow food,

Ethan Schaffer
Director
Organic Volunteers
www.growfood.org
"Educational Opportunities in Sustainability"

www.GrowFood.org