The current Covenant is in this link: http://academic.evergreen.edu/curricular/reconciliation/perucovenant.htm

Our task for the first weeks is to create our own covenant. We may use the following information as a basis for our work:

The following covenant models comprises the learning guidelines and tenants of the program: 2004-05 Patience

The aim of the Patience student is to experience and bridge the duality of academia and “real life.” This separation often leads students to feel disconnected with their material. By connecting this gap, students begin to witness their own prison and can begin to understand ones self-limitations, as well as those imposed by the societal institutions. Self-discovery is the key to learning ones potential and truly comprehending ones place within the world. This will enable one to experience the humanizing process of liberation, thus equipping students with the skill to work with others towards a global liberation of the oppressed.

A group of students from the program Patience will travel to Peru in the winter of 2005 to live and learn the dynamic Freirian philosophy guiding the course. We as a group will act consciously as guests in a foreign country. We not only represent Evergreen State College, but the United States of America and must live up to the high standards, respecting the new and different cultures we encounter. Our group will experience people who live realities seemingly unfamiliar. We will be in no place to directly “question, critique or impose” our judgments on to them. It is no better or worse, just different. We as students attempting to overcome our limitations will expect times of great challenge and will attempt to accept them with an open heart. Liberation is a conscious, dynamic process in which individuals struggle through adversity to reach her/his utopia.

Academic

1. Students will be responsible for creating their own and continuously working on their emerging syllabus throughout the year.
Student traveling to Peru:
Pre-Departure:

1. As required by the Evergreen State College, students must sign a mandatory Waiver, Release, and Indemnity Agreement to be submitted to the deans.
2. Students will have adequate financial resources for the duration of their stay and a plan to obtain additional funds in case of an emergency.
3. Students will be personally responsible for health concerns, insurance and travel arrangements
4. For the first five weeks of travel in Peru, faculty will have the responsibility of arranging logistics within the host country both prior to departure and making adjustments once the program is in place. These arrangements include travel, lodging, board and any unexpected provisions.
5. Students if discussed with faculty may be able to bypass the organized five-week travel component to the program and work or travel separately. This only applies to those who have been a part of this programs Peru travel in the past.

In Country:

1. Students will abide by the laws of the host country; fully aware they are responsible for their own actions. They further understand that if they break local laws, they cannot expect legal assistance from the faculty sponsor or The Evergreen State College.
2. Students are solely responsible, both financially and otherwise, for any and all damages they may cause to persons or property as a result of negligent behavior. They are also required to maintain cleanliness and order with their living quarters, and respect for the belongings and space of others.
3. Students agree to refrain from drug use; breach in this policy will lead to the student being sent home.
4. Students will be aware of dress recommendations discussed within the group in regard to local customs.
5. Students agree to abide by the Student Conduct Code, available on The Evergreen State College Web site. http://www.evergreen.edu/aboutevergreen/social.htm
6. Students agree to refrain from discriminating against, sexually harassing, threatening or intimidating another person by words, gesture or physical assault.
7. All grievances will be solved within the community.
8. Situations resulting in a necessary support system, due to an emergency or illness will be dealt with by students and staff cooperatively.
9. Students expecting to study or travel longer than the length of the study abroad component must make prior arrangements with the faculty.

Name (Signature):