Spring Announcements

From: Michele De La Cruz [mailto:micheledlc7@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tue 5/2/2006 12:49 PM
To: Nakasone, Raul; Rutledge, David
Cc: chingkarma@yahoo.com
Subject: Update and Presentation Date

Greetings! I know I've not really been in touch much, and I hope that's been
ok. I've been very active and busy with many things! I am excited to give my
presentation for the year. I absolutely MUST give it on Tues, June 6, week
10, whatever time is available. I am moving to Eugene at the end of May, and
so need to coordinate my presentation with moving, work, and event schedule!

From: "Native Student Alliance" <tescnsa@hotmail.com>

Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 00:05:14 -0700
To: longhse@evergreen.edu, ackleyk@evergreen.edu, yamiallen@netscape.net,
anakak2000@yahoo.com, anchorsm@evergreen.edu, malkatrazeem@earthlink.net,
javaeast@msn.com, sim_conners@hotmail.com, BeebyM@wsdot.wa.gov
Subject: THIS FRIDAY: Tlingit One-Woman-Show in Longhouse at TESC

Hi there, everyone!
     I wanted to extend an invitation to all to attend an
event in the Longhouse at TESC this Friday, April 7.  We will begin the
evening with a performance by local Skokomish singers and drummers.  The
night's feature is a one-woman show written and performed by Diane Benson, a
Tlingit woman hailing from Southeast Alaska. THE EVENT IS FREE OF CHARGE.
     An acclaimed poet, playwright and actress, Diane has performed "Voicing
Tribal Women" locally in Alaska as well as nationally, including this past
month at the National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, DC.  This
piece features "When My Spirit Raised Its Hands," a true tale of Native
Civil Rights in the 1940s through the lens of Elizabeth Peratrovich, a
Tlingit forerunner of native women taking a stand against oppression.  Diane
portrays other characters with a quick wit, along with an underlying message
that gives voice to the Native woman's perspective in the crazy world we
live in today.
     Please join us in the Longhouse at Evergreen from 6pm-9pm and help us
out by spreading the word!  Do not hesitate to email us back with any
questions or just give us a ring at 360.867.6105.
Gunalscheech ("Thank you" in Tlingit),
Cary Jensen Turkon

April 8th Pow-wow in honor of Judith Quill at Tacoma Community College, Building 11, Grand Entry at 1:00 and 7:00 p.m.  Drummers, Dancers, Vendors are welcome!

From: Organic Volunteers <growfoodsa@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 16:23:17 -0700 (PDT)
To: Raul Nakasone <nakasonr@evergreen.edu>
Subject: "Sustainable Revolution in Latin America"
When:     Tues the 11th, 1pm

  Sarita Role co-directs GrowFood.org, a virtual University of  sustainable living whose classrooms are farms, forests and communities,  and whose professors are organic growers, green tradespeople, and  social entrepreneurs.  The slideshow "Sustainable Revolution in  Latin America" follows Sarita and GrowFood.org founder Ethan Schaffer  through Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, and Peru as they spend 5 mo.  networking educational opportunities for GrowFood.org and learning  about the struggles and triumphs of the emergent Sustainability  Revolution in South America.

  Sarita and Ethan developed their non-profit organization while  attending Evergreen.  Both participated in Raul and David's  programs.  In addition to sharing her and Ethan's work, Sarita  hopes to share how students can utilize the resources and intellectual  freedom provided by Evergreen to support unconventional studies.

 Also- encourage  students to browse the website- www.GrowFood.org- before we meet.

  I can also be reached at 943-0680, if needed.

  -Sarita

From: Lauren Kemple <lkpirate@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 12:27:24 -0700
To: Reconciliation <reconciliation@lists.evergreen.edu>
Subject: [reconciliation] presentation tomorrow

i would like to present my work from fall and winter quarters tomorrow (thursday APR 6th.) during the class time.  i'll be there around 1 or 1:30.
happy spring!
lauren

SPRING PRESENTATIONS WILL START IN WEEK FIVE
Email Raul or Reconciliation to set up your presentation date.  Visit this link to see the schedule

The saturday Reconciliation/Contracts "Theory to Praxis" group will not meet on April 8th.  Instead, choose from the following options:

*UW Native American Film Festival (attend 1 day or the whole event) April 6-8 at the Ethnic Cultural Center).  The poster was sent by email to you last week.

*Voicing Tribal Women featuring Diane E Benson "The Story of Elizabeth Peratrovich & Alaskan Civil Rights" TESC Longhouse, free admission, 6-9 pm on friday, April 7th

*Sweet Honey In the Rock - concert April 7th at 8:00 p.m. at the Paramount, Seattle.  Ticketmaster 206-628-0888 (benefits Newspapers in Education project)

*Dr. Cornel West Speaks, Saturday, April 8th at 7:00 p.m. at TESC College Recreation Center  $15.00 in advance at Rainy Day Records or $20.00 at the door.  Students with ID $7.00 in advance and $10.00 at the door.

*April 8th is also "Uncle Phil's Pow-wow" at Tacoma Community College.  (I'll get the particulars to you soon.)

We will meet on April 22nd and report on our findings.  The spring quarter schedule also includes:  May 6th, May 20th, and June 3rd.

Students who have concluded their studies and have petitioned to graduate are invited to attend our June 3rd class because we want to send you outta here in style!!!  (Let me know if you can attend this gathering in the morning for breakfast and a short ceremony.  Stay for the full workshop if possible!)

As I mentioned to one of you in an earlier email - "I'm sorry we didn't get to decide about this saturday and class.  I've had more people say it would have been good for closure...to talk about our quarter, say good-by in a formal way, have a few good belly laughs, and talk about our plans for spring quarter.  Well, thats one of the things that I learn is people really do mean it when they say - this is my family, my community, my haven!"

Yvonne