Required Texts for Winter 2006 (in reading order)
Because we will examine these texts closely, and because we desire to avoid any complications that might otherwise arise from varying pagination, buy the editions listed below, all of which (but #15) are available for purchase at the campus bookstore. You may be able to find the same editions at better prices through various on-line dealers such as abebooks.com; half.com; amazon.com, etc.
- Discourse on the Origin of Inequality. Jean-Jacques Rousseau (Hackett, 1992)
- The Communist Manifesto. Karl Marx (Oxford, 2005)
- Civilization and Its Discontents. Sigmund Freud (Norton, 1989)
- Moralists and Modernizers. Steven Mintz (John Hopkins, 1995)
- The Scarlet Letter. Nathaniel Hawthorne (Modern Library Classics, 2000)
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Mark Twain (Penguin Classics, 1985)
- Galapagos. Kurt Vonnegut (Dell Publishing, 1999)
- Winter Music. John Luther Adams (Weslyan Univ. Press, 2004)
- Into the Wild. John Krakaur (Random House, 1997)
- The Good Life. Helen and Scott Nearing (Random House, 1990)
- Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed. Jared Diamond (Penguin, 2005)
- The Real Environmental Crisis: Why Poverty, Not Affluence, is the Environment’s Number One Enemy . Jack Hollander (Univ. Calif. Press, 2003)
- Coyote Warrior. Paul VanDevelder (Bison Books, 2004)
- Confessions of an Eco-Warrior. Dave Foreman (Crown Publishing, 1993)
- The Wildest Place on Earth. John H. Mitchell (Counterpoint Press, 2002) PURCHASE online ONLY
Required Texts for Fall 2005 (in approximate reading order)
Because we will examine these texts closely, and because we desire to avoid any complications that might otherwise arise from varying pagination, we prefer that you either buy or find library copies of the same editions listed below, all but No. 4 (Waste and Want) of which are available for purchase at the campus bookstore. You may be able to find the same editions at better prices through various on-line dealers such as abebooks.com; half.com; amazon.com, etc.
- The Organic Machine. Richard White (Hill and Wang, 1995)
- America as Second Creation. David Nye (MIT Press, 2004)
- Nature/Walking. Ralph Waldo Emerson/Henry David Thoreau (Beacon Press, 1991)
- Waste and Want. Susan Strasser (Owl Books, 2000)*
- Land of Desire. William Leach (Vintage, 1994)
- The Grapes of Wrath. John Steinbeck (Penguin, 2002)
- The Wilderness World of John Muir. Edwin Way Teal, ed. (Mariner Books, 2001)
- A Sand County Almanac. Aldo Leopold (Oxford Univ. Press, 1968)
- No Picnic on Mt. Kenya. Felice Benuzzi (The Lyons Press, 1999)
- The Lost River. Richard Bangs (Sierra Club Books, 1999).
* NOT available at TESC Bookstore. Please purchase on-line.
NB: In addition to the books above, a course reader will be given to each student.
Last updated: February 2, 2006 © Robert Smurr. All Rights Reserved.