Heritage: Summerwork - Announcements

From: "Yannone, Sandra" <yannons@evergreen.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 17:53:18 -0700
To: All Staff & Faculty DL <AllStaffFaculty@evergreen.edu>
Subject: Self-Evaluation Workshop on Thursday!

Spread the word!

The Writing Center will offer its quite popular self-evaluation workshop this THURSDAY, AUGUST 23rd @ 3:30pm in the Writing Center, Library 2304.

To see an overview of the workshop, log on to our Website at www.evergreen.edu/writingcenter.

Sandra L. Yannone, Ph.D.
Director of the Writing Center
The Evergreen State College
Library Bldg. 2304H
Olympia, WA 98505
360-867-6382/ www.evergreen.edu./writingcenter

From: Dan Hilden <danhilden@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 02:30:19 -0700
To: <rutledgd@evergreen.edu>, <nakasonr@evergreen.edu>
Subject: Learning Summary Seminar

Greetings Heritage Faculty,
I am planning on attending the learning summary seminar on the 30th. Needless to say, you are both invited to attend. Unfortunately, I will not be able to be there for the presentations, as tomorrow I am going into the mountains for the next two weeks. I look forward to meeting you.

Dan Hilden

From: Sumner <mountainbuilt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 19:23:10 -0700
To: Heritage <heritage@lists.evergreen.edu>
Subject: [heritage] June 28th Space Elevator test in Bremerton

Hello,

I´ve spent a large part of spring quarter researching the physics of the Space Elevator. For anyone unfamilliar with this, it´s a structure proposed in 1960 by Russian science fiction author, Artsutanov, that would haul cargo and people into space on a platform that climbs a high strength, 62,000 mile long "string" or ribbon to geosynchronous earth orbit. In the late 90´s, while working for NASA,  Dr. Bradley Edwards posed the question; Why couldn´t this be built? With the recent advent of Carbon Nanotubes, the answer was that it may in fact
be a reality. The links near the bottom will take you to some key SE\ backgound sites.

The point:

An ambitious local company named Liftport is working toward making this happen. On June 28th, Liftport has scheduled a public test of their Tethered Tower system which is:

"Tethered Towers is a newly formed communications company specializing in the development and distribution of tethered towers (aerial communication platforms) and operational service packages. Early stage product systems are focused on providing local lift for 25 lbs. to 40 lbs. of communication equipment to between 150 and 300 feet in less than 2 hours, with service reliability up to 10 days. Second generation products will target altitudes between 500 and 1,000 feet with longer durability and greater cargo capacity. Third generation
products will be designed to meet atmospheric conditions in the 1 to 5 mile range, and fourth generation products to 6-20 miles and higher."

The test is happening on June 28th in Bremerton, Wa which is about an hour north of Olympia on the peninsula side (a ferry ride across the water from seattle).

Kitsap Lake Park is the apparent location.

Additional details are being streamed through their blog page at http://www.liftport.com/external/blog.html (see: Chaos and Excitement
- Upcoming Demo).

The company is still in the works of scheduling the event and ASKS "If you want to attend the demo, RSVP to info@liftport.com".

The links:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3401/02.html
http://www.liftport.com/
http://www.blacklineascension.com/
http://www.elevator2010.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

Thanks, hope you can make it, if you have any question drop me a line,

Sumner

                                                                                                                RETURN