What our summer students are doing: biking through the US

From:   Zach McCuin
Sent:   Monday, June 23, 2008 2:03 PM
To:     Rutledge, David

Subject:        Eastern Oregon

I just rode in to a tiny town called Mount Vernon. It was an awesome ride downhill through desert canyons.
So far the trip has been awesome. We are going a little slower than I would like, but we are finding our groove and expect to pick up the pace starting tomorrow.

Coming over the cascades was an amazing experience. The uphill was grueling but the downhill was certainly worth it. We went about 50 miles uphill, with the last 25 miles being the most rigorous. Once we got over Santium pass we entered the high desert and made our way down to Sisters, Oregon, where it started to rain. We rode through the rain and by the time we got to Redmond we were seeing some amazing lightning storms. They eventually passed us by however, and we were able to sleep by the side of the road without a tent.

We expect to reach Baker City either late tomorrow, or early the next morning. Then from there we head east to Idaho where we may head northeast to Montana or straight east to Wyoming.

talk to you soon

-Zach.