Article/Research papers sent by participants

1) Subject: article I found on self directed programs
------ Forwarded Message
From: Robin Hood <rhcrco@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 23:07:28 -0700
To: Raul Nakasone <nakasonr@evergreen.edu>, <rhcrco@gmail.com>
Subject: article I found on self directed programs (especially masters level)  and all the reasons it is such a good idea

Raul, check out this excellent short paper on self directed graduate programs, it has a lot of good points

Thanks again for talking me into going back to school and all your help in getting me to the graduation today.

Robin

http://www.digitaldivide.net/articles/view.php?ArticleID=509, Author: James M. Downey
Introduction

This proposal offers the concept of a self-directed program of study that leads to a Master of Education in Educational Leadership. The concept for this degree identifies the need for leadership and leadership processes in the field of education. It also offers self-directed education as an effective model of teaching and learning. The theoretical and didactic basis for this program operates on the following premises.

PREMISE 1: Students learn better when they are motivated and empowered to take charge of their own learning process.

PREMISE 2: Motivated and empowered students given the task of self-direction set criteria, objectives and standards that would often be more stringent than those required by a professor or classroom teacher.

PREMISE 3: Self-directed students integrate interdisciplinary knowledge while pursuing studies.

PREMISE 4: Self-directed students enjoy the freedom of researching and exploring new avenues of study, as well as bringing new perspectives to the field of study.

PREMISE 5: In this Information Age, motivated self-directed students have access to resources that were previously unavailable and unexplored by most students in the traditional classroom setting.

PREMISE 6: Self-motivated, self-directed learners are often a neglected and/or under served student population in any given catchment area.

PREMISE 7: Self-directed degree programs will soon be cutting edge given the impending and continual changes in information technologies.

PREMISE 8: Self-directed degree programs offer choices that traditional programs can not offer because of the structure of the curriculum.

PREMISE 9: Significant research exists to support the development of self-directed learning programs (i.e. Summerhill, Ivan Illich Deschooling America, etc.).

PREMISE 10: Self-directed degree programs are less costly to administer, manage and market; there is a significant market for these types of programs, especially at the graduate level.

PREMISE 11: It is incumbent upon public colleges and universities to develop self-directed programs.

PREMISE 12: Self-directed learners often have a history of non-traditional learning and teaching experiences which would readily adapt to a self-directed program.

Conceptual Design

The basic design of a self-directed program involves the formation of a study group involving 4-8 motivated and self-directed students; a faculty advisor/program manager; 5-10 megabytes of space on a computer system accessible via the internet for each member of the group; an interactive web site specifically accessible by the group as a whole (with ListServ or BBS store and forward e-mail capabilities); access to the library and media resources of the university or college; and opportunities to share the research and studies in symposia or seminars.

The study group meets with the faculty advisor once at the beginning of each semester and again at the end of the semester. All other meetings are held either via e-mail (ListServ or BBS type e-mail), web site postings, or face-to-face at a location chosen by the group. Each individual student meets with the faculty advisor at least once per semester to discuss mission, goals, objectives, problems and issues arising within the program. Students are free to make contact with other campus/institutional faculty, as well as with faculty from other institutions and agencies for information and guidance. Students are responsible for documenting all time spent in contact with faculty, doing research, developing work product, etc.

The study group is a peer resource for the self-directed learner. Each individual student is responsible for their own educational objectives and achievements, but the group serves as a focal point for collegiality, support, idea generation, etc. Each student will produce a paper on the topics chosen for the purposes of fulfilling the curriculum developed and the group will review and critique the work submitted (usually online at the web site). The expected result of each semester will be an online academic journal of the research produced in the subject areas chosen for the semester. The journal must be accessible to other groups, students and faculty for review, comment and critique via the web site. The web site must be advertised to other interested parties, especially at the professional level. After the research has been posted for a full semester (i.e. posted in Fall Semester, reviewed during Spring Semester), at least 2 copies of the “journal” will be produced in a suitable desktop publishing format and offered to the campus library.

Each student will develop a specific curriculum for the degree program being pursued. The curriculum will be unique and customized by the student. The study group will review the curriculum proposal and offer suggestions and ideas for additions or deletions to the curriculum. Once the study group has reviewed the curriculum proposal it is submitted to the faculty advisor for review and approval. Once the faculty advisor has approved the program the student must get the approval of the Department Chair for the discipline for which the degree is offered (i.e. Education Department). The curriculum documentation needs to follow a format developed by the faculty manger/advisor.

Students will develop a reading list and all activities for the course of study. The primary text(s) for the course will be chosen by the student. Faculty advisors and department personnel are free to make suggestions, but the student is free to be self-directing.

The curriculum developed has significant checks and balances that many graduate programs do not implement. It has peer review, professional review, public review and standards that are equivalent, if not exceeding, those required of the traditional graduate student, including research components.

The course of study, and the order in which the studies are pursued, is strictly the purview of the student. The study groups are to be used for peer review, critical presentation of study materials, idea generation and critical analysis, etc. Students will be expected to produce 20-30 pages of quality written material—in the form of reports, research papers, presentations, web pages, databases, outlines, etc.—for each topic and/or area being studied. Students are free to utilize any and all experiential learning opportunities (i.e. internships, volunteer placements, work-related study, etc.) afforded them, provided placement reports, summaries and supervisory reviews are done. The faculty advisor may review the work at any time and ask for a specific presentation on the topic. Students may offer their acquired expertise to colleagues, undergraduate classes, community presentations, training activities, or similar projects as part of the study process.

Enrollment

Primarily this is a program to be marketed to non-traditional learners. However, the term has more depth and meaning in the context of the new internet developments and information technologies. It no longer applies to just students returning to school after a long period away from studies. It now includes working professionals juggling busy schedules, trying to pursue graduate level education, and maintain some semblance of balance in their personal lives. Non-traditional learners have been taking charge of their learning processes and pursuing academic avenues that would have been closed to them just 10-15 years ago. These are the prime targets for a self-directed curriculum.

Additionally, the concept of in loco parentis that was once applied to all college students, including graduate students, is rapidly being replaced with a desire for programs that empower students to challenge themselves and take charge of their educational processes. If our universities and colleges do not recognize the need for empowering programs, significant competition for the empowered student market may position traditional institutions at the low end of the academic marketplace. Already we have evidence that satellite-, video- and internet-based distance learning is reaching into the pool of potential graduate students by offering degree programs and continuing education to education professionals. As the technologies and competition develop and become more empowering, the market for self-directed programs will expand.

Conclusions

There is no time like the present to develop and pursue this emerging market. The reach that this type of program will give any university, college or campus is global. In the emerging world market and global economies, being able to reach students and alumni worldwide can only be seen as an asset. The diversity to program offerings without adding extensive cost is also desirable.

Latest addition to this paper:
A Proposal For A Self-Directed Master Degree in Education
Author: James M. Downey | September 17th, 2005
Communities: Higher education online free for all <http://www.digitaldivide.net/community/highereducationonline>

This is an outline of a cohort model for a self-directed graduate degree program I submitted to Purdue University - Calumet Campus in 1999. I have developed some different ideas, but I believe that this type of program could accomplish the following:

A: Reduced cost or FREE degree program.
B: Reduced administrative issues & processes.
C: More independent thinking & outcomes
D: Greater contribution to the professions
E: Increased access world-wide
F: Less academic politricking
G: Genuine peer review approaches to education

At this point it would make sense to expand the idea to encompass an entirely on-line college, including graduate degrees. The idea of a "university" irks me because of the "publish or perish" and "make money or fail" propositions that often accompany university status.

I would welcome feedback and the opportunity to put this type of program into practice. The big stumbling blocks are credentiuals, accreditation and technology resources (aka funding). I believe there is enough free resources around that we could build a genuine academic community that produced the "best of the best" regardless of socio-economic ability to get the degree.

It would be great if we could find some sponsors for the technology and facilities needed. I know many retired academics that would be willing to participate at some level. Accreditation could be through DETC (I know... but it's one of the avenues we have available).

There are lots of on-line resources that could contribute to a virtual library. Partnerships with publishing houses would be nice as well. E-books and web publishing have progressed significantly since I first proposed the idea.

Please post your feedback here and we can then make arrangements to swap e-mails and ideas.

------ End of Forwarded Message

2)From: Sherri Anderson <dangrigatown@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 07:46:25 -0700 (PDT)
To: Hillary