Here are the readings for fall quarter, in the order in which we will study them:
- Wood, Gaby, Edison’s Eve. Doubleday, ISBN 1-4000-3158-3.
- Descartes. Discourse on Method and Meditations on First Philosophy, Hackett, ISBN 0-87220-4200*.
- Shakespeare, The Tempest. Norton, ISBN 0-393-97819-2.
- Hobbes, Leviathan. Penguin, ISBN 0-14-043195-0.
- Swift, Gulliver’s Travels. Penguin, ISBN 0-14-143949-1.
- Shelley, Frankenstein. Norton, ISBN 0-393-96458-2.
It is crucial that you own these specific editions of the texts. We must have the same words on the same pages before us when we discuss these texts in seminar and in writing. New editions of all these books will cost about $100. You can find many, if not all, of them on line at a considerable discount. Just be sure to buy these specific editions. If this requirement places a financial burden on you, please let the faculty know as soon as possible.
* The Evergreen bookstore is having difficulty stocking this title, but you can find copies online readily, both used and new.