Students often ask how we will divide up the readings. We initially read some articles. I give you some release time from class on Saturday for reading them and again on Sunday morning to have time to write up the short paper assignment (see Course Format for details about the short paper). During the second week-end, you have an assignment for and we have a seminar on an entire text, in addition to another article. Then, we do it again – third week-end we read articles and the 4th and final week-end, a full text. Both of the texts I have selected are “seminal”, meaning they have endured over time and have much to teach us. If you work with people, they will serve you throughout many years.
(You should download your own copies of the Harvard Business Review articles from the library catalog and bring a hard copy with you to class on the assigned day. If you don’t know how to do this, ask a research librarian)
- Arbinger Institute, Leadership and Self-Deception, Berrett-Koehler Publishers; Second Edition, 2010, ISBN: 978-1576759776
- Senge, Peter, Presence Doubleday, 2004 ISBN: 978-0-385-51630-3
- Isaacson, Walter, The Real Leadership Lessons of Steve Jobs, Harvard Business Review, April 2012, Vol. 90 Issue 4, p92-102.
- Gary, Loren; Elliot, Brian; Taylor, Linda E.; Andrews, Ronald K.; Goliaszewski, Stasha, When Steve Becomes Stephanie, Harvard Business Review, Dec. 2008, Vol. 86 Issue 12, p35-42.
- LISTEN to the following NPR stories BEFORE Saturday, June 29:
- Two Families Grapple with Sons’ Gender Preferences, by Alix Spiegel, at www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90247842
- Parents Consider Treatment to Delay Son’s Puberty, by Alix Spiegel, at www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90273278
- Pentland, Alex, The New Science of Building Great Teams, Harvard Business Review, April 2012, Vol. 90 Issue 4, p60-70
- Dutta, Soumitra, What’s Your Personal Social Media Strategy?, Harvard Business Review, November 2010
- Groysberg, Boris; Slind, Michael, Leadership is a Conversation, Harvard Business Review, June 2012, Vol. 90 Issue 6, p76-84.