- Statistics: Nicholas Gotelli and Aaron Ellison, A Primer of Ecological Statistics, 2nd edition $54.95. Sinauer Associates, Inc.; 2nd edition (November 15, 2012), ISBN-13: 978-1605350646
- Data Mining: Ian H. Witten , Eibe Frank , Mark A. Hall. Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques, 3rd Edition (Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems). 3rd edition (January 20, 2011), ISBN-13: 978-0123748560
- Donella Meadows, Thinking in Systems. Chelsea Green Publishing (December 3, 2008).
- David Salsburg, The Lady Tasting Tea: How Statistics Revolutionized Science in the Twentieth Century. Holt Paperbacks (May 1, 2002),
- Jaron Lanier, You Are Not a Gadget: A Manifesto. Vintage; Reprint edition (February 8, 2011),
In addition to the seminar books above, students will read articles related to guest lectures. These will be posted on the seminar page a week prior to seminar.
- Statistics: JMP (available in the computing center)
- Modeling: Stella http://www.iseesystems.com/softwares/Education/StellaSoftware.aspx Proprietary software – isee systems. We will use this for less than two weeks of the quarter. It might be possible to download a trial version.
- Data Mining: Weka (Waikato Environment for Knowledge Analysis) http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/ml/weka/. available as a download – be sure to download the stable version (not the development version). Weka software toolkit downloadable with purchase of the text. A suite of open source machine learning software written in Java, developed at the University of Waikato.
ref: Mark Hall, Eibe Frank, Geoffrey Holmes, Bernhard Pfahringer, Peter Reutemann, Ian H. Witten (2009); The WEKA Data Mining Software: An Update; SIGKDD Explorations, Volume 11, Issue 1.