- Deep Lake’s water is clear with algae in shallow areas along the shore
- areas around deep lake look like seasonal flood plains. These areas are characterized by fine sediment, extremely arid sediment, and a lack of vegetation.
- Water lines are visible on parts of the shore and on nearby rocks indicating that deep lakes depth has varied over time.
- The structure of the pothole is circular
- The Basalt walls of the pothole are heavily fractured. One is able to remove pieces of basalt with bare hands.
- The pothole floor is littered with lichen covered rocks, with some moss present in the persistently shaded areas.
- Various trees and shrubs inhabit the pothole floor