From: Joce Higgins [mailto:jocehiggins@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 8:37 AM
To: porterg@evergreen.edu
Subject: RE: In memory of Jacinta

Hi Greg-

How are you these days? In case this doesn't get read at the memorial, here is a letter I wrote for it.
Take care.
-Jocelin

Dear Evergreen community and friends- April 10, 2004

I am sorry I cannot be with you today. I am currentely teaching English as a foreign language in Taipei, Taiwan and learning about Chinese culture and language.

I was saddened to hear of the unexpectant passing of Jacinta McKoy. I remember meeting Jacinta when I transferred to Evergreen from Spokane Falls Community College back in 1999. At the time, I was new to campus, broke and needed a part time job. I was taking classes for a program called, Mediaworks, so I was in the Com building talking to Jacinta about my lack of employment one day. Even though the budget was tight, she got me some hours as an usher in the communications theatre. I was really appreciative of this as non work study jobs on campus were rare.

Throughout my three years at Evergreen, I would be happy to see her bright smile as I walked around campus or when I stopped by her office to say hello. I found her to be very interesting to talk to and quite a good listener. We would often talk about spirituality and human rights issues. I knew she was in the building upon hearing her gregarious laugh, there past the time everyone else went home-so stoic and ready to prepare the facilities for whatever artist would visit next. It was as if you ventured into her home when you went into the communications building.

I especially remember the visit from the performance artist, Rachel Rosenthal. The theatre was packed to capacity, the show had begun and suddenly the fire alarm blasted out. The smoke from Rachel's performance had set it off. Jacinta was quickly calming people down and telling everyone not to worry. And soon enough, the alarm quit and the show was back on. Rachel and her troup had an excellent time, gave an amazing performance and thanked Jacinta onstage. Jacinta blushed but took it all in stride.

Then there was the time in 2001 when she spoke on my KAOS radio show. I normally played jazz music, but the labor strike was more pressing at the time, so I made time for her and a couple of other Evergreen employees to air their concerns. Jacinta was eager to gain equality in this matter. I admired her tenacity and determination. I remember making a comment to her about the increasing cost of mortgages and she sat there and shook her head, because even after over 10 years at Evergreen she could still not afford to buy a house in Olympia. I can imagine she must of been very happy to finally have been able to buy a home.

I know you will all miss her. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you go to work and do not have Jacinta there to work or visit with. It is amazing to me that she devoted so many years to the Evergreen State College. She really loved everything that Evergreen stands for. She was Evergreen in many ways. May you find insight when you think of her. May you find mindfulness and compassion. Enjoy the walk through town and always remember to carry on the vision of who she was and what she stood for.

"I may be revered or defamed and decried, but I tried to live my life right."
-Tracy Chapman

Peace and love-
Jocelin Higgins
Evergreen grad(2000 and 2003) and former KAOS radio programmer

_____