The Evergreen State College
Archives & Special Collections
Public Service Institutes
Washington Center for the Improvement of Undergraduate Education
Series : Institutes 1988-
National Learning Communities Summer Institute 1998
Series : Newsletter 1986-2015
Series : Publications 1988-2015
Learning Communities & Educational Reform. Malnarich, Gillies and Gillespie, Diane, co-editors. Olympia: Washington Center, 2004.
- Diversity, Educational Equity, & Learning Communities. Summer 2005
- The Critical Moments Project.
- Learning Communities Research and Practice
- Occasional Paper
Series : Grant Reports 1988-
- Final Report to Ford Foundation on Cultural Pluralism Project
Series: Grant Project Final Presentations
- ST2EP Web pages (Student Teacher Technology Education Partnership) 1999-2001
Series : Video Tapes
Learning Communities: Constancy & Change
- Learning Communities – Delta College
- Learning Communities - Yakima Community College
- Learning Communities Conference - Yakima Valley Community College (after 1986) - 4 Umatic 3/4" video tapes.
- MacGregpr. Jean. Mini Chautauqua September 1990 - History of the Washington Center and Learning Communities
- Hill, Patrick. Learning Communities Workshop: October 22, 1985 The Evergreen State College, Washington Center for the Improvement of the Quality of Undergraduate Education
Series: Audio Tapes
- Reaching New Heigths: Structuring Cooperative Learning Groups. Johnson, David W. and Johnson, Roger T. (1987)
- 1 copy each tapes A through F (6 tapes)
- (GS 2) Adults Learning at An Adult Convention (David Johnson & Roger Johnson)
- (GS 4) Equity in Staff Development (Asa Hilliard, III)\
- (GS 5) Partnerships in Staff Development (Ann Lieberman, UW)
- Learning Community Debriefing
- Skagit Valley-Whidbey Learning Community: Lif& Death: Ethical Dilemmas for the 1990's
- Skagit Valley-Whidbey Learning Community: Ethical Dilemmas for the 1990's
- Campus Values: From Competition & Individualism to Cooperation & Community 1987
- National Conference on Higher Education
- Learning Communities Workshop - Workshops Given October 22, 1985 A series of one--hour presentations on the development of and integrative teaching methods in learning community and coordinated studies programs.
- Marjorie Miller: Integration in a Federated Learning Community - Marjorie Miller, Assistant Professor of Philosophy, State University of New York at Purchase. Miller describes her approaches - from the highly structured to the very informal - to the integrative seminars she led as a Master Learner in the "Technology, Values and Society" FLC at SUNY-Stony Brook.
- Marjorie Miller: Role of the Master Learner, in a Federated Learning Community - Miller recounts her experience as a Master Learner, and pre- sents the roles and goals of Master Learners in mediating and facilitating the student learning in federated courses.
- Jack Lane: Role of the Master Learner in a Federated Learning Community - Jack Lane, History Professor, Rollins College, Winter Park, Florida. Offering a hypothetical FLC called "The Quest £or Dignity," Lane invites the seminar participants to think through the necessary planning steps for putting it in place, and focuses upon the qualities and characteristics of an effective Master Learner.
- Roberta Matthews: Model Learning Community Programs at LaGuardia and Daytona Beach Community Colleges - Roberta Matthews, Associate Dean of the Faculty, LaGuardia Community College, Long Island City, New York. An overview of LaGuardia's "Introductory Cluster," for liberal arts students, in which a cohort of students enrolls in five courses linked by a common theme. Much of the cross-disciplinary integration occurs in two courses common to every cluster: English Composition, and The Research Paper. Matthews also describes a new introductory cluster for business students, and a similar liberal arts cluster program, entitled "Quanta," being offered at Daytona Beach Community College.
- Patrick Hill and Evergreen Faculty: "Integrative Teaching and Learning in Coordinated Studies" - Patrick Hill, and Evergreen State College faculty members Rudy Martin and Nancy Taylor present three approaches to integration. Hill describes a highly creative collaborative student effort to explore a controversial stand of a faculty member. Martin explores the values and processes of the book seminar at Evergreen. Taylor explains how she engages students in active and cooperative learning.
- Patrick Hill and Evergreen Faculty: "Integrative Seminars" Patrick Hill and Evergreen State College faculty members Don Finkel and Susan Aurand discuss strategies for enabling students to become active responders to their learning through the seminar experience.
- BOX 1 (left side):
- 89CIDR-GS5 Teaching and Increasingly Diverse Undergraduate Population, Barbara Solomon 2nd Nat'l. Conf. on Training and Employment of TAs
- Learning Communities I: Training 7-19-91 (2 copies)
- Learning Communities II: Training 7-19-91 (2 copies)
- Learning Communities III: Training 7-19-91 (2 copies)
- Parker Palmer CLC Conference 2/93
- Lee Knefelkamp CLC Conference 2/93
- L. Lee Knefelkamp: Seasons of Academic Life: Honoring our Collective Autobiography 1990 Nat'l Conference on Higher Ed. (3 copies)
- Mirrored Images 1: History and Music of Latin America
- Mirrored Images 2: History and Music of Latin America
- Mr. Jack Rodgers
- Panel Discussion
- 52 How Senior Administration can Facilitate and Sustain Innovation: The W A Center Case History
- IQ-24 Formal Results in Learning
- 87AAHE 42 Improving Teaching through Faculty Aculturation 1987 National Conference on Higher Education
- (right side) 93AAHE-17 Keynote Address: Remembering the Heart of Higher Education Parker Palmer
- 93AAHE-36 Toward Community for All: Feminist Pedagogy and Assessment
- 93AAHE-40 The Bittersweet: Women and Leadership in Higher Education
- 93AAHE-63 Community and Conflict: The Prerequisites for a Just "Reinvention" [) Community
- 94AAHE-5 Opening Plenary: The 21st Century Academic Workplace
- 94AAHE-72 Interdisciplinary Studies in the 21st Century
- 94AAHE-80 New Approaches in Science Education for the General Student
- 94AAHE-82 Reforms in Math-Science Education
- 91CAHE-45 Assessment and the Flap Over Diversity: A Case of Multiple Realities?
- 91NCAHE-51 Refocusing General Education Outcomes Through Assessment as Learning
- AAC 9202 Tape 32 Gen Ed Forum I: Setting Institutional Parameters
- AAC 9202 Tape 36 Can Majors Become Learning Communities?
- AAC 9202 Tape 37 Gen Ed Forum II: How Secure is Gen Ed Reform?
- AAC 9202 Tape 48 Toward a Pedagogy of Peace
- AAC 9202 Tape 53 Developing Conceptual Frameworks - Small Institution
- AAC 9202 Tape 54 Keynote Address - James Redfield
- Sandy Austin (tapes 1 and 2 of 2)
- Sam Schuman (1) 19.
- Michael Ruiz (1)
- Tape #1
- DM tape #2 (Post-It saying: Jean said nothing on this tape)
- Tape #3 SSE Students 7-14-92
- Tape #4 Students on SSE's 5-27-92 Hunter
- Plenary AM "It sucks" (3 tapes rubberbanded together)
- 12/10/92 BAD TAPE
- Molecule to Organism (2 tapes rubberbanded together)
- SSE Interview (2 students of color)
- Breakfast B-2 (2 tapes rubberbanded together)
- SSE Interviews CHAOS
- SVC #1
- "Ways of Knowing"
- Observers' Fishbowl #1 Jan 23/24 1992 (2 tapes rubberbanded together)
- 5/26/92 Tape 1 SSE Misc.l
- SCCC #1 12/8/86
- Late AM Tape 2 and Late AM Small Group (Rubberbanded together)
- Tape SSE Students Nany K's class Module.l (2 tapes rubberbanded together)
- NSF Reports (2 tapes together in a rubberband)
- NSF Update July 92
- Indian SSE 2 more st.
- NSF Evening Discussion 7/13/92
- (right side) Introduction
- Valerie Bystrom Tape 2 Reflections on FLC at Seattle Central
- Audio Tapes:
- 1. "Integration in an FC Model Program" Miller 10/22/85 Tape 2 (no Tape 1)
- 2. "Role of the Master Learner". Miller 2 (5 copies).
- "Integrative Teaching/Learning in Coordinated Studies & FLC 5 (5 copies)
- 4. "Integrative Seminars" Hill-Aurand-Finkel 6 (5 copies)
Series: Federated Learning Communities Archive
(see also 1976-12 h5557 Hill, Patrick personal papers)
- Federated Learning Communities Project: Washington Centre
- SUNY Stony Brook