From: Dan Goetz [mailto:xforyourselfx@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wed 6/1/2005 9:12 PM
To: Patience 2004-2005
Subject: [patience] end of year

1A. Did your program (or project)include Art? (delete
what doesn't
apply)
(Major emphasis, Minor emphasis or No emphasis)
Somewhere in the middle
1B. If yes, how was Art included in your program (or
project)?
Although I wasn't creating art per se, I was able to
learn about, as well as expose others to, new music.
Through the record store, I was exposed to local,
national, and international music that I might not
otherwise have come across.  Also through ordering
music for the store and selling band pins, I exposed
some folks to music and bands that they might not
otherwise had come across.

2A. Did your program (or project) include Science
and/or Mathematics?
(Major emphasis, Minor emphasis or No emphasis)
Somewhat
2B. If yes, how was Science and/or Mathematics
included in your program
(or project)?
No science, but math was definitely used at the cash
register

3A. Did your program (or project) include Humanities?
(Major emphasis, Minor emphasis or No emphasis)
Indirectly
3B. If yes, how were the Humanities included in your
program(or
project)?
Although I wouldn't say that humanities were a focus for
me personally, it is worth noting their importance to
the home/un/self-schoolers whose experiences made up
the books I read, and how they found their own way to
learn, understand, and appreciate the art and literature
that, in a more rigid setting, would have been taught to
them in a way that would have hindered their learning,
understanding, and appreciation thereof.

4A. Did your program (or project)include Social
Sciences?
(Major emphasis, Minor emphasis or No emphasis)
Major
4B. If yes, how were the Social Sciences included in
your program(or
project)?
I would considered looking at a movement that questions and defies
traditional schooling to be social science.  This not only includes
what is being studied, but the ways that individuals and families
change their lifestyles to accomodate self-teaching or learning.

5A. Did your program(or project) include quantitative
reasoning?
(Major emphasis, Minor emphasis or No emphasis)
Somewhere in the middle
5B. If yes, how was quantitative reasoning included in
your program(or
project)?
When ordering records for the record store, I had to
think about how much I could order given how much the
store could afford at a given time, as well as finding
a balance between what could realistically sell and
what I thought was good music that people should be
buying.  I also used quantitative reasoning to determine
prices for my (pin making and audio editing) services as
well as royalties.

6A. Did your program(or project) include writing?
(Major emphasis, Minor emphasis or No emphasis)
Minor emphasis
6B. If yes, how was writing included in your
program(or project)?

Maybe this would fall more under "business writing," but running
a couple of small businesses required writing advertisements,
promotions, petitioning stores to carry my pins, and writing to
bands regarding royalties if I was using their pre-existing artwork.
With this kind of writing, it sometimes took a while to hammer out
what I wanted to say in order to make myself clear

7A. Did you use technology to present work, conduct
research (including
library research), or solve problems?
(Major emphasis, Minor emphasis or No emphasis)
Major
7B. If yes, how did you do so?

In addition to online research, Adobe Photoshop played
a major part in designing pins, and Sound Forge is
what I used to import and clean up analog audio.

8A. Did your program(or project) include activities
designed to promote
critical thinking?
(Major emphasis, Minor emphasis or No emphasis)
Major
8B. If yes, how were such activities included in your
program(or
project)?
I gotta go along with what Ethan said, even though the
majority of my work took place locally.  Every aspect
of what I did promoted critical thinking.  Everything from
deciding what to follow up a book I just finished with to
deciding whether or not I should allow individual to order
my pins wholesale.

9A. Did your program(or project) make an effort to
address racism,
sexism, classism, or other forms of oppression?
(Major emphasis, Minor emphasis or No emphasis)
Sort of
9B. If yes, what strategies or activities did you(or
your faculty
team)use that worked well?
Although my work didn't do anything to combat any
"isms" head on, part of my subject matter discussed
the problems faced by African American students and
families in traditional schools, as well as the class
advantage that middle and upper class home/unschoolers have.

10A. Were there opportunities for you to do advanced
work in this
program(or project)?
(Major emphasis, Minor emphasis or No emphasis)
  Yes.
10B. If yes, please elaborate.

Although it might not be considered "advanced" in terms of
traditional academics, this program allowed several of my
initial ideas and plans to bloom.  Based on what I learned
from my reading and internship, I learned how I learn best,
how to learn outside of school, how to run my own business,
how to help someone else's business grow, as well as the best
way to keep myself going in order to do all this.