From: Kealani [mailto:kealanikiesling@yahoo.com]
Sent: Fri 6/3/2005 3:53 PM
To: Patience 2004-2005
Subject: [patience] Response to Tony Alessandra's The Four Phases of Learning

For some learning processes, I agree that the four phased model
(ignorance, knowledge, practice, and habit) accurately describes a
successful journey.  However, I don't believe that the model accurately
describes a successful learning process for all things.  There are some
learning processes that are best left at the knowledge phase, that the
value of knowing them is all that is required.  For instance, this year I
learned more about chemistry, geology, and hydrology but if I wanted to
continue the learning process into practice and habit I would have to drop
other habits out of sheer time necessity.  Essentially, it is not
necessary, nor practical, for someone to attempt a habitual practice of
all they learn.  Thus, that is why most programs and seminars leave a
learner at the knowledge phase, because often that is all that needs to
happen.  The learner has been exposed to a new area; she then has the
choice of further pursuing it or not.

The key, I believe, is the four phased development of critical thinking.
Through habitual critical thinking, a person can more accurately evaluate
what experiences and information should be fully developed into habits and
which are more appropriately left at the knowledge phase.  This is where I
believe Patience goes further then most other programs and classes.  In
other programs, the faculty directs and decides the phases of learning.
Thus, sometimes the student's natural processes and inclinations of
learning are or can be oppressed.  However, in Patience each learner is
responsible for his own learning, and therefore he must critically
evaluate what needs to be habituated, practiced, or more appropriately
left at the knowledge phase.