Important Q & A for Patience Peru Group

Subject: RE: travel plans/help with finacial aid
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:06:13 -0800
From: Nakasone, Raul <NakasonR@evergreen.edu>
To: cezanne

Cezanne:

Thanks for sending your itinerary. If you can get your air ticket from Lima to Chiclayo, it should be around $90. The ideal in your case, would be that upon arrival in Lima, you go through customs and get out of the international area on time to get into the national flights area to continue your trip to Chiclayo. If you hope to buy your ticket the same morning you arrive, it may be possible. What I know so far is that the only flight Lima-Chiclayo leaves at 6 am. It may change later and I will let you know. In any case, if you decide to have our contact in Lima arrange your conexion let me know. I do not advise you to leave the airport by yourself, even in a small group if none has the experience of large cities, you need to continue your trip without leaving the airport.

I have been sponsoring these trips to Peru since 1994. It was usually for small groups and the success in most cases was such that many students ended up staying in Peru for the rest of the quarter.

In all our programs in Evergreen we leave enough room for students to become responsible for their own education. In this program in Peru, the five first weeks in Peru will prepare you in a way that by week four you will be able to present your plan for the second part of the quarter. By then you will be able to make your own arrangements for completing your project. Most projects are connected with Volunteer Community Work Learning, which in essence is the theory to practice step we consider priceless in this college. This is the time when you go out on your own and do work in local institutions, sit in classes at local educational sites, visit archaeological sites you have chosen to learn more from, interview people using the newly acquired language skills, team teach with colleagues and new friends, participate in community events with a deeper understanding of the culture and so many other opportunities.

Expenses will look like this. For instance, if it is travelling through Southern Peru, by week four we will have worked some contacts with names and addresses; you will need to consider at least a $300 a week expenses for room and board and transportation. Southern Peru will give you a more detailed idea of ancient Peru, for anthropologists this trip can become the peak of their experience. if you plan to just stay around Northern Peru, which is what usually happens, then the same budget for the first five weeks will be enough. Some students set Guadalupe as a base and from there make long trips, in this case you will need to increase your $100 room and board per week to at least $200. Students who stay around the area will have seminars with college students and faculty  from the area. Students will make these arrangements in coordination with members of the Organizacion Tercer Milenio.

Let me know what you decide to do for your conexion in Lima.

Raul
http://academic.evergreen.edu/curricular/patience
http://academic.curricular.evergreen.edu/n/nakasonr
<>