New, not in printed catalog -            (How participants describe our programs)
Fall, Winter and Spring quarters
Faculty:                                                David Rutledge; Raul Nakasone; Gary Peterson and Guest Faculty Yvonne Peterson
Enrollment:                                           75
Class Standing:                                    Sophomore or above, transfer students welcome.
Special Expenses:                                (for optional 5 week overseas travel) Approximately $1,830 (includes RT airfare, room and board                                                                 plus 3 meals a day, local transportation, local social events and program administration) for                                                                             five-week travel to Peru.
Students must pay: *                             a $150 non-refundable travel deposit by December 3, 2004, to secure arrangements.
Business Office has set up budget # 29025 for the Peru studies abroad program.  The students will need to deposit their $150 to 29025-52504.
Internship Possibilities:                     With faculty approval.
Week end classes:                               sign for Special Topics with faculty, see Fall syllabus
Travel Component:                            Optional five-week travel to Guadalupe (La Libertad), Lambayeque and Cajamarca, Peru during                                                                     winter quarter. For more information contact Raul or visit
                                                                http://academic.evergreen.edu/n/nakasonr/

This program will examine what it means to live in a pluralistic society at the beginning of the 21st century. We will look at a variety of cultural and historical perspectives and use them to help address the program theme. We will pay special attention to the value of human relationships to the land, to work, to others and to the unknown. We will concentrate our work in cultural studies, human resource development and cross-cultural communication. We shall explore Native American perspectives and look at issues that are particularly relevant to Native Americans. We will ask students to take a very personal stake in their educational development. Within the program's themes and subjects, students will pay special attention to how they plan to learn, what individual and group work they plan on doing, and what difference the work will make in their lives and within their communities. Students will be encouraged to assume responsibility for their choices. Faculty and students together will work to develop habits of worthwhile community interaction in the context of the education process and liberation. The faculty are interested in providing an environment of collaboration where faculty and students will identify topics of mutual interest and act as partners in the exploration of those topics.

This program is for students who already have a research topic in mind, as well as for those who would like to learn how to do research in a student-centered environment. Students will be exposed to research methods, writing workshops, computer literacy, library workshops, educational technology and the educational philosophy that supports this program.

In fall, we hope to state our research questions. In winter, we plan to individually, or in small study groups, develop the historical background for the chosen question and do the integrative review of the literature and data collection. In the first part of spring quarter, we will write our conclusions and prepare for a public presentation. The last part of spring will be entirely dedicated to presentations. Research topics will be related to the program theme of how to live in a pluralistic society and a globalized world under humanistic standards for social justice, freedom and peace.

Students will use and explore Bloom's Taxonomy , the theory of multiple intelligence, the relationship among curriculum, assessment and instruction, quantitative reasoning, self- and group-motivation, communication, e-mail, resources on the Web and Web crossing, and develop skills in interactive Web pages and independent research.

Credit awarded in: history, philosophy, cultural competency, communication, writing, political science, cultural anthropology, literature, indigenous arts, technology, indigenous studies, Native American studies, education and individual project work.