Announcements and week five reports

Standardized tests

only reinforce competition to be the best
leaders of the world need to confess
cuz those most ostracized need some redress
while life should focus on having less
so we can recognize that everyday the lessons learnt make up the test
we need to bridge the crest
in order to elevate our chests
but wait a moment, let me digress
so many ideas coming at you, it's hard to digest
feeling my truth pounding in your breast
recycled materials helping to build our nest
the imposition of government the true pest
so take a minute to rest
my words like bullets penetrating your bullet-proof vest
the tolerance of corporate misconduct unjust,
clearly it's time to divest
it's the war of the worlds, east against west
but why don't we caress and ingest instead of invest
and just remember this poem wasn't written in jest.
Adam Burger

Wednesday September 6th.
Lecture Hall 1 - The Evergreen State College
Premiere of Joe Brown's film "The Making of"

From: Jonah Millett <jonahmillett@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:59:15 -0700
To: Raul Nakasone <nakasonr@evergreen.edu>
Subject: Re: Summer Presentations started today (week seven)

Raul,
I would like to present my work in the study of sustainability week 9 Aug 22 1pm.
Thanks,
Jonah

From: <schrisman@bainbridge.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 17:38:46 -0000 (GMT)
To: Raul Nakasone <nakasonr@evergreen.edu>
Subject: Presentations

Hi Raul,

I would like to present on tuesday the 8th, if that is possible.

Thanks,
Simon Chrisman

Hola:
End of summer quarter:

Weeks 8 and 9 in summer quarter are completely dedicated to make a presentation as a finished one or, as a work in progress. Presentations will start in week seven.

Ending your participation in the summer program:

Set up a presentation date (email Raul). You can invite your co-learners, family and friends to your project presentation.

After presenting your project in class, email your faculty team (each one of us):
- your academic essay in the 3rd. person about your own work addressing the credits you have worked for, this is your masterpiece in writing.
And you may choose to email us also:
- your self eval (your first good draft will do).
- your faculty/program evaluation

Conferences and group conferences continue through out the quarter until evaluation week. You either make an appointment or come to class and talk with one of us or with all of us, please bring with you the work you want to share with us.

Please hand in your official self-evaluation to Registration and your faculty/program eval to Pam in Lab I First Floor.
The Deans reminded us that there are no incompletes for summer quarter.

Your Team

From: <schrisman@bainbridge.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:14:35 -0000 (GMT)
To: Reconciliation <reconciliation@lists.evergreen.edu>
Subject: [reconciliation] Midsummer report

Hi everybody,

Just a brief update on my summer work here...
I've been continuing my volunteering for the crisis clinic here in Kitsap,
trying to get in as many hours as I can before I move to Boston this fall;
I enjoy the work, and would recomend it to anyone intersted in counseling
or psycology.  Hopefully, I'll be able to find a job in an entry level
counseling position once I get to Boston.
In the realm of my music studies, the most notable event this summer has
been the music camp that a friend and I attended in Mt. Shasta. Some of
our friends put it on, and they were kind enough to let us hang out and
attend classes for the price of helping out with the post-camp clean up,
and with the occasional class...  It was an incredible week of
performances, intense workshops, and, of course, hanging out in the lake.
No better way to learn than playing with people who are better than you,
and this was a perfect opportunity for that.  Other than shasta camp, I've
been playing various gigs around town, and praticing daily.

I hope everybody's summer is going well,
Simon

From: Justin Honeywell <justinlittlefeather@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:46:51 -0700
To: Reconciliation <reconciliation@lists.evergreen.edu>
Subject: [reconciliation] More news...

Hey everyone out there in Summer Work land...I just wanted to extend the invitation out to anyone who wishes to tell the story of their summer
projects so far. I find it hard at times to be inside and typing while the great outdoors call me so strongly in these warm, summery days. Growing up,
I probably spent 80 percent of my summer outside wandering the woods and following adventures. I struggle to find a balance, to reconcile the "idea"
of what 'work' really is. But when I remember all that I have learned so far, I realize that if I am continuing to seek my passions and live my life
to the fullest, how much more work can I do? And what else is more worth my time? I believe that the Earth is our best teacher, and adventures out in
the wilderness, or dosing in the sun-speckled forests, fill me with passion and inspiration. To projects of passion and true learning!

Peace and Wellbeing,
Justin

From: Evan Hastings <bluebunt@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 05:34:37 +0000
To: <nakasonr@evergreen.edu>
Subject: Update & Sept. workshops

Raul,

I hope your enjoying your summer. I'm writing to give you an update on the work I'm doing and to follow up about doing some orientation or week 1
workshops.

I'm currently working with Oakland Peace Camp, www.oaklandleaf.org , facilitating 2 Hip Hop Theatre workshops and one Violence Prevension
advisory. The Camp is arts based with a social justice focus.

I'm still working in San Francisco County Jail's Resolve to Stop the Violence Project (RSVP) as a facilitator in the Theatre for Change Program,
through Community Works http://www.community-works-ca.org/

My other weekly theater workshop behind bars is also through Community Works and is in Juvi @ San Fransisco's Youth Guidence Center. We are currently writing a play about the origins of Gang Violence.

In the Fall I'll pick up a hand full of artist residencies in the public schools and I'll be running professional Development workshops for teachers
with Opera Piccola. http://www.opera-piccola.org

I'd still love to facilitate some workshops at evergreen this Fall. I could come during orientation week      September 17 - 25 or the following week
September 26-30.

One workshop could be geared toward helping new students transition into a liberatory learning environment. This workshop would ask students: Where are you coming from and what do you bring with you? What expectations do you have? What type of learner are you? and other questions.

Another possible workshop would be in using interactive theatre techniques in groups. I could guide participants through a series of dramatic
activities for group development, interpersonal learning, collaborative healing, and artistic expression. At the end of the workshop I could give
participants a handout with insructions for facilitating all the activities experienced in the workshop.

Another option would be a workshop for Teachers and aspiring educators. This workshop would be a demonstration of hip hop theatre activities that
integrate a multiple intelligence approach to standards based curriculum.  I'd give the participants sample lesson plans and help non-artist teachers
with arts integration ideas.

I would gladly develop any of these ideas further or customize a workshop around specific guiding questions. Let me know what intrests you.

hope to hear from you soon
peace

Evan Hastings
642 alcatraz ave #301