Fall 2006 - Announcements

------ Forwarded Message
From: <kqtea@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 22:25:59 -0800
To: <nakasonr@evergreen.edu>, <rutledgd@evergreen.edu>, <PetersoY@evergreen.edu>
Subject: Heritage class  presentation

My name is Kyong Queyquep
I would like to have a presentation 5 dec at 2:00 PM.
I attached 3rd person essay also. Please let me know any feed back .
Thank you so much and I hope to see you 5 December 200 PM.
Kyong Queyquep

End of the quarter

To participants leaving the program at the end of the quarter (fall, winter, or spring) - you need to:
1. Choose a date during weeks 9 and 10 to present your work in class and email us at nasprogram@evergreen.edu
2. Write an academic essay in the 3rd person describing your work and addressing the credits you have worked for and email it to
nasprogram@evergreen.edu as soon as possible and better yet before evaluation week (this exit document does not have a formal format and is not
a hard copy, it is just an email message).
3. Write your formal self-evaluation and take it to Registration during evaluation week. (As a courtesy - send a copy to nasprogram@evergreen.edu)
4. Write your formal faculty/program evaluation and take it to Pam Udovich in 1st. Floor Lab I during evaluation week.

We suggest all participants who plan to stay in the program the entire year, to write an academic essay in the 3rd person at the end of every quarter and
email it to us as a report; then at the end of the year, you can just use the three pieces for your final essay or write an entire new piece for the whole year. This is a strong recommendation for those participants who have chosen not to post their responses to the 4 questions for the program list or for the web crossing site.

When a participant does not respond or meet the end of quarter deadlines, we honor the decision to receive no credit for the quarter(s) and it is filed with the registrar.

If you need to have a conference with your Team or with one of your faculty, we are available every Tuesday or Thursday from 1pm on. If your schedule
doesn’t fit this, email us and make an appointment.

Participants whose projects will extend over the summer, can register in the Heritage: Summerworks program in May. They will just present a report in
Spring and make a final presentation at the end of the summer quarter. They will need to submit their exit documents at the end of the spring for the
regular year, and at the end of the summer for their summer quarter work.

If you have questions email us to nasprogram@evergreen.edu

Your Team

From: VICTOR RODRIGUEZ <viqdor2@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 13:27:55 -0600 (CST)
To: Heritage <heritage@lists.evergreen.edu>
Subject: [heritage] Fw: updated Native Events for November

I know alot of this is up north but i feel that sharing information is all apart of community building...After all,, anything less just wouldnt be civilized
Strength in Peace...Victor
From: <loweh@evergreen.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 01:56:04 -0000
To: Tesc Community Announcements <tesccrier@lists.evergreen.edu>
Subject: [tesccrier] SELF EVALUATION WORKSHOP, TUESDAY 10/31, IN PRIME TIME 6:30-7:30pm

Prime Time is located in housing in "A" building on the second floor.  The Self Evaluation Workshop will be presented by the Writing Center.  Come find out how to make your self evaluation a strong part of your transcript (and enjoy fresh baked desserts while you're at it).

From: nikki miller <nikki_mmiller@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 18:53:35 -0700 (PDT)
To: Tesc Community Announcements <tesccrier@lists.evergreen.edu>
Subject: [tesccrier] Building Resistance: Salvadoran Youth in The Global Struggle,
Monday November 6th, 12:00-2pm , Evergreen Lecture Hall #5

Monday, November 6

12-2pm

Evergreen State College, Lecture hall 5 (the round building not Seminar II)

Oswaldo Nataren, a member of the Roque Dalton University Front of the University of San Salvador in will be in Olympia to speak about the recent student protests of July against bus fee increases and the resulting military occupation of University of San Salvador, current youth organizing, ongoing police repression and intimidation, and the current struggle of particularly youth.  His presentation is part of the yearly CISPES fall speaking tour intended to build Solidarity among the people of El Salvador and the people of the US.

Please join us.  This event is free and open to the public.

------ End of Forwarded Message

From: "Kuckkahn, Tina" <kuckkaht@evergreen.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 16:26:57 -0700
To: NAWIPS <nawips@evergreen.edu>, Native Student Alliance <tescnsa@hotmail.com>
Subject: Longhouse community dinner

Hello;

The Longhouse would like to invite you and your students to attend the Longhouse community dinner on Saturday, October 28th, at 5 pm.  The event will celebrate indigenous foods and honor some of the artists who have been involved in our artist in residence programs over the past two years.  We will premiere a new video by Sandy Osawa (Makah) and honor the first grant recipients of our new Native Creative Development Program.  The Hottowe family dancers (Makah) will help us dedicate some new artwork in the building.

We are planning dinner for 200, so if you are planning to bring large groups of students please let us know in advance so we can plan accordingly.

Tina

From: "Kuckkahn, Tina" <kuckkaht@evergreen.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 16:08:28 -0700
To: NAWIPS <nawips@evergreen.edu>
Subject: Suzan Shown Harjo

The Native Student Alliance is bringing activist Suzan Shown Harjo to speak at the Longhouse this Monday, October 9th at four pm.  All are welcome to the free, public event.
Tina

From: Kelly Fitzpatrick <Dointhe_cockroach@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 15:46:47 -0700
To: Heritage <heritage@lists.evergreen.edu>
Subject: [heritage] Aniversary of the Tlatelolco Massacre

Hey everybody,

On October 2, 1968 the Tlatelolco Massacre took place in Mexico City where
an estimated 200-300 students and innocent civilians were killed while
protesting for human rights. Of Course the governments death toll estimate
is dramatically less. One claim of the Mexican government made was that a
protestor shot the first bullet, but when video footage is reviewed, it
shows the first shot came from an official government building.

Two days ago was the anniversary of the Massacre. I would just like
everyone to be aware and to remember these people.

I watched an amazing documentary called "Tlatelolco Las Claves de la
Masacre" subtitles included.

For a brief explanation visit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tlatelolco_massacre

Another good site for alternative Mexican news that is in Spanish, but you
can have google translate it is.

Infor@canalseisdejulio.com

Type in Tlatelolco Massacre.

Kelly Fitzpatrick

From: "Womeldorff, Tom" <Womeldor@evergreen.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 11:34:26 -0700
To: All Faculty <allfaculty@evergreen.edu>
Cc: "Hayashi-Petersen, Elaine" <peach@evergreen.edu>
Subject: Please turn in your yellow registration tracking forms -- if you have not done so already

Dear All,

It’s that time of the quarter to turn in your yellow registration tracking form if you haven’t done so already.

First, please verify that every student attending is registered.  Please send them immediately to Registration and Records to get registered and list them on the tracking form.

Second, please list on the form students registered but not attending.

If you can’t find the form or you prefer to send the info via email, send your lists of students in each category to Elaine Hayashi-Petersen.

Thanks,
 Tom

From: <synergy@evergreen.edu>
Date: 29 Sep 2006 17:17:23 -0700
Subject: Email from Faculty Directory Site

Below is the result of your email form.
Submitted by synergy@evergreen.edu

Sent_By: Maggie Philipsborn
Requests_Comments: Information to share with your students and fellow faculty and staff members!
Hope to see you there!

Synergy Open House!

Wednesday, October 4th
1pm-3pm

Student Activities Office
CAB 320 ˆ in the Solarium

Bring Your Ideas
Brainstorm goals
Share Your skills
Collaborate, Educate, and Be a Part of the Process
Help organize the 6th Annual Sustainable Living Conference!!
Healthy Snacks and beverages will accompany your presence

Have questions? Can‚t make it but want to be involved?
Contact: synergy@evergreen.edu
Visit the office: CAB 320, (360)867-6493

From: Wyatt Cates <catesw@evergreen.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 07:36:00 -0700
To: All Staff & Faculty DL <AllStaffFaculty@evergreen.edu>
Subject: Fall 2006 Media Services Update

Media Services staff would like to welcome you to another exciting year at Evergreen!

This year is even more special since all the Media Services areas and folks have moved into our newly remodeled Library spaces.  There is a brand new Multimedia Lab, Digital Imaging Studio, as well new B&W/Color Darkrooms, new spaces for Electronic Media, Photo Services, Media Loan and the Sound and Image Library.  For locations, phone number, hours of operation, etc. please go to our newly updated web site at:   http://www.evergreen.edu/media/home.htm

The Library building also has several new AV classrooms -- these will be coming completely on-line in the next few weeks, so please bear with us while we work out the final details and get all the equipment up and running.  For AV classroom questions and support, please call Electronic Media at x6270.   You can also call that number for Lecture Hall support.  Zena Vergara (x5517) is still your main contact person for SEM II classroom support.

We're very happy to have Kathryn Ford back at Media Loan.  She returns as our Media Loan Front Desk Supervisor.  Angela Goldenstar is now in charge of evening Media Loan support as well as the college's Advanced Production Services (3 chip video/16mm cameras, animation support, etc.)   Dave Cramton has moved into the Electronic Media Producer Video position.

Ryan Richardson moved up from Colorado to join our "ever developing" Photo Services team.  Ryan is the new lab manager and IT support go to person. Martin Kane has left us for greener pastures in North Carolina, so Jon Huey, will be our temporary campus photographer until a permanent hire can be made. (Please see the e-mail that Steve Davis sent out regarding what's new in Photo Services and Rob Rensel's e-mail with your IT Quick Reference Guide for more fun updates.)

Media workshop/resource requests for your programs still go thru our wonderful Stephanie Zorn at x6249 or zorns@evergreen.edu    Stephanie and I can also sign off on any individual contracts that need media support.  And, of course, you can always contact me at x6271 or via e-mail with any of you Media Services questions.  My office is now located inside Media Loan, L2504, so please stop by and I'll show you our new digs!

Have a wonderful year!

Wyatt

From: "Stinson, Elizabeth" <stieli@evergreen.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 12:55:13 -0700
To: All Staff & Faculty DL <AllStaffFaculty@evergreen.edu>
Subject: Fall 2006 - General Computing Workshops in the Computer Center

Howdy,

Need to brush up on some tech-no-logical skills?  Sign up for a free workshop or two in the Computer Center.

View the workshop schedule at http://www.evergreen.edu/computercenter/workshops.php. Use your Evergreen account to register.

There is a “Computing @ Evergreen” orientation on Friday of Week One (1-2 PM) and there are Word, Excel, Dreamweaver, Linux, Photoshop workshops and more.

Please pass this information on if applicable.

Best,

beth stinson l academic computing

First Week
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sep 25
26
First Class
Longhouse LC Cedar Room
1pm
27
28
Longhouse LC Cedar Room
1pm
29
30
Theory to Praxis Workshop
9 am Breakfast
3 pm wrap up

To First Year and New Transfer Students

We have received the following message from Academic Advising. In Heritage we will have plenty opportunities for close communication through out the year, but you may want to use this opportunity from AA early in the quarter. Please read, print (you may ask in AA for this form) and fill out the forms below and make an appointment with the indicated AA staff.
------------------------------------
From: "Ford,Teresa" <FordTer@evergreen.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:42:06 -0700
Subject: 1-1 advising for first year students

Greetings  Faculty Teams,
As we did last year,  we are writing to all faculty teaching core and all-level programs this fall to ask if you will be conducting one-on-one check-ins with your first-year students early (weeks 1-3) in the quarter.  Faculty who have these conversations early in the quarter report increased engagement by students.  The sessions help them identify potential concerns as well as make early connections with their students.  There is also quite a bit of data (Evergreen-specific and from national research) that suggests that an early connection with a faculty or practitioner can positively influence a student's decision to persist at the college.
We believe the most meaningful connection is with the student's faculty member(s).  However, if having 1-1 check-ins is not built into the structure of your program, Academic Advising will arrange for another faculty or staff to conduct this outreach with your first-year students.
Attached are a couple of sample inventories you can use (or not use) for the 1-1 sessions.   If you have any questions about this outreach effort, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm at x6377.
Please let us know by September 18 what your plans are by responding to this email with your response checked below.
____ Yes, our program is conducting 1-1 check-ins with our first-year students early in the quarter.
____ No, our program is not conducting 1-1 check-ins with first-year students early in the quarter.
Thank you,
Terry Ford
Member of the Faculty
Interim Director Academic Advising

Academic Advising One-on-One Meeting Outline

Name: ______________________________________________________ ID # _______________________________

(Please print!)

Email address:  _____________________________ Local Address _________________Phone no _______________

-      Are you in your first choice program for this quarter?                   Yes                          No

-       What is the name of your program? ______________________________________________

-       As of right now, do you plan to stay at Evergreen until you earn a bachelorÕs degree?

Yes
                        No

-       Are you registered for the number of credits you want to earn?     Yes                          No

-       Did you complete the New Student Advising Workshop?              Yes                          No

How confident are you in your skills in the following areas?

(Please check all of the boxes that apply):

Not at all

A little bit

Moderately

Quite a bit

Very

Appropriate preparation for your program.

Writing skills

Mathematical skills

Ability to manage your time and balancing activities

Ability to use the Gateway registration system

Ability to use college resource and support services

Ability to keep up with academic responsibilities

In which of the following areas are you feeling challenges that might interfere with your success in college?

(Please check all of the boxes that apply):

None

A little

Moder-ate

Quite a bit

A lot

Your job or lack of employment

Finances and budget

Finding a sense of community at Evergreen

Personal relationships

Family issues

Homesickness

Personal health issues

Getting information you need

Doing a self evaluation and/or being evaluated by your faculty

Talking with your faculty

Developing an academic plan

Gaining the skills you need for your future

Your living situation

SAMPLE FIRST WEEKS PROTOCOL

1.    Basic Needs:  settled, found living space, food, $, childcare, how much work outside of school

2.    Follow-up survey questions:
•    Where did information about Evergreen come from that informed your impressions (freedom?  Do what I want?)
•    Long term Academic Goals?  (Why in college)

3.    Referrals
•    Students of Color make appointment with Holly Colbert x6467
•    First Generation with Dawn Carlson  x6464
•    Learning Challenges with Linda Pickering x6348

4.    Thought about grades.  How are you used to being assessed?  How do you understand progress to be evaluated at TESC with no grades?
       Any support needed? (Discuss accountability issues in narrative evals)

5.    Goals for program/first year.  Review academic strengths/needs, skilled needed (Handout self directed learning plan worksheet)

Assignment:  Look through catalog, list program possibilities to expand academic areas needed.  List programs and WHY

<>