· read Zumdahl Ch. 16-spontaneity, entropy and free
· Read Exp. 4C pages 79-80
· Read Exp. 4D pages 83-84
· Do Exp. 4C # 1-2
· Any problems from the last chemistry workshop that
you did not finish.
In class: We will introduce thermodynamics and look
at the temperature dependence of some reactions.
· Do Exp. 4C # 3-14, 16
· Do Exp. 4D # 1-13, 15
|Tuesday, Nov 4th
Group A: Chem Lab
Group B: Physics Workshop
Gas Laws Lab Report Due
· Read AP Exp. 4A pages 68-74
· Read Zumdahl appendix 3 pages A18-A21 on spectral
· Zumdahl Ch. 6 # 38-41, 43, 61, 62, 65, 66
· Z. Ch 8 # 47-50 and 52
· Z. Ch 13 # 2, 19, 21, 22, 23,24,28, 57, 59, 60, 62
In lab: We will measure the concentration of NO2 in
the air we breathe.
· Follow the experimental procedure outlined in Exp.
· Prepare a calibration curve of absorbance vs. concentration
NO2 in mL/mL and also use the flow rate to determine the concentration
of NO2 in ppm.
· Be sure to take very good notes for this lab because
you will be writing a lab report on your results.
· Do Exp. 4A applying your ideas page 73 a, b, e, f.
Exploration 3D in Air Polution Module
Workshop Physics, Laws 18.5 and 18.10
Exploration Study the webpage on automobile engines
Stuff Works and answer
The class website might also be useful for finding sites with
information about car engines specifications
|9:30-12:30 Calculus Lecture/Workshop
Precalculus Homework Due:
Ex 2.3 #8
Ex 2.4 #9
Ex 2.6 #4,6,7,8,17
Physics Homework Due:
H&R Ch 20 pg 477
Questions 11, 12; Ex. 10E, 13P, 25E, 27P
H&R Ch 19 48E and 49E
Venus is shrouded in a thick atmosphere. A runaway greenhouse
effect has rendered its surface a balmy 732 K. On Venus the
lapse rate is -8.8 K/km and the temperature of the stratosphere
is a cool 200 K.
Find the height of its tropopause (which is the boundary between
the troposphere to stratosphere.
In Class Test
Test on material from week 4 to week 6
Enthalpy of reactions
Le Chatelier's principle
First Law of Thermodynamics
Energy exchange in the expansion of a gas
Composition and Inverse Functions