A full syllabus is on its way, but in the meantime I wanted to give you a heads up about the books and materials. Please note that most of the books are available at the Greener Store, but a few are only available online. You are responsible for getting hold of all of the titles! We will be working with 100 Artist Manfestos during the first week of class, so please make sure that you get hold of a copy.
(Available at the Greener Store unless otherwise noted)
100 Artist Manifestos: 100 Artists’ Manifestos: From the Futurists to the Stuckists, Danchev. Penguin: 2011
ISBN 9780141191799 (Only available through online sellers!)
Adrian Piper: Race, Gender and Embodiment, Bowles. Duke University Press: 2011.
Art Since 1900: Modernism, Antimodernism, Postmodernism, Volume 2: 1945 to the Present, Foster, Krauss, Bois. Thames and Hudson: 2005.
The Digital Film Event, Minh-Ha. Routledge: 2005
On Edge: Performance at the End of the 20th Century, Carr. Weslyan University Press: 2008. ISBN 9780819568885
Relational Aesthetics, Baurriaud. Les Presse Du Reel: 1998
ISBN 9789871156566 (Not available at Greener Store.)
Recommended Textbooks (Available at the Greener Store)
New Media in Art (2nd Edition), Rush. Thames & Hudson: 2005.
Performance Art: From Futurism to the Present (2nd Edition), Goldberg. Thames & Hudson: 2001
- Notebook (recommended that you have section dividers for lecture/screening notes, workshop notes, handouts, readings).
- Slim folders for turning in Artist’s Portfolio (please do not submit 3 ring binders unless they are very slim)
- Comfortable clothing/shoes for performance workshop
- Reliable Email Account. (Please check at least once per day)
- External Hard Drive. You’ll need a <7200 RPM> hard drive with at least a 500 GB capacity, with Firewire 400/800 and USB 2.0 or 3.0 [FW 800 transfer speeds are the top, and FW 400 averages faster than 2.0 on the Multimedia Lab computers], and a 16MB or higher buffer.
- A trusted brand we recommend is Other World Computing. This one is small, portable and I’ve used it for years with very few problems. http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go